Vaping and dental work... please help!

I have been suffering from severe tooth pain and have scheduled an appointment with my dentist in Toronto on 18th of this month. I think my lower teeth are completely damaged and one of my friends said there may be issue with the nerves also. I'm worried after hearing this. I called upon my dentist Dr. Jennifer in city oasis dental and explained her my situation. She said she can't say anything until I meet her. After hearing all my problem she says there is a 50-50 chance for me to undergo root canal treatment. She will be here on Sunday and asked me to meet her on Monday. I know my teeth will be extracted but I want to know if I could vape after that. I think vaping will be better than smoking. Any suggestions? What if my dentist ask me not to vape?       

Immediately following a root canal, I vaped and was fine.

While I'm no health professional, in my experience, you do not want to be sucking on anything following a tooth extraction. When they take a tooth out, a clot forms in the socket where the tooth used to be. You do not want to be sucking on anything (vaping, smoking, a straw in a drink, etc.) because that could cause the clot to dislodge and come out. This is called a dry socket, and it's the worst pain you'll ever feel. It will make the pain of an abscess feel like nothing at all. You don't want to be doing that. Why not wait to meet with the dentist and see what she says first before coming to any conclusions?

I had several teeth extracted a few years ago, and vaped without any issues afterwards, but I changed from mouth-to-lung airflow to a more open direct-to-lung airflow, which reduced the chances for getting a dry socket.

As a side-note... a lot of dentists don't know the facts on vaping, and will tell you false info regarding how bad it is for your teeth.  One of my favorites is that "PG is very bad for your teeth"... ummm... if it were bad for your teeth, it wouldn't be a chief ingredient in mouthwash and toothpaste, lol.  Another biggie is "All those sweet flavors in vape are like sucking on sugar all day"... ummm... no, that is also false because while there are sweet flavors and sweeteners in some vape flavors, they are not nearly as bad as drinking a cola or eating a candy bar.  Also, since I started vaping, my hygienist and dentist could not be happier with my check-ups.  Vape does not stain my teeth like tobacco (or coffee) did, and my cleanings take 10 min!  My dentist has also said my teeth and gums are healthier now than they were 5 years ago.

If you do vape and wind up with a dry socket use oil of clove soaked on cotton and put it in the socket. It stops the pain really fast. The eugenol  is extremely effective. It also prevents infection. I had major oral surgery and that's what my surgeon gave me. I keep it on hand and have helped a few friends on weekends who couldn't get to the dentist until Monday with it. I'm not a doctor but do have a nursing degree so I'm not talking nonsense. Tam is right though, you want to wait until your clot is firmly established before sucking anything.

You can get oil of clove at a health food store. It tastes really strong but you get used to it.

Edited by Edna

Good luck at the dentist I hope you have no problems :)

Oil of clove is great to keep on hand. Just make sure you buy good quality and food grade though.