iJoy Tornado burning my throat after fixing a short..

cjco24

So I have rebuilt the Tornado a few times and after a day or two "i get the atomizer short" message.  After i fixed it by making sure wire wasnt touching the build i still get good flavor & vapor, but it stings the back of my throat, almost like a burning sensation.  It doesnt taste burnt or anything, its just the feeling and I seem to only get that after i fix a short.  can anyone help me sort this out?

Need details

your ohms

your wattage

your juice mix pg/vg

if I had to guess with no information I'd say you're vaping sweet juice pretty hot with higher nic

so im using a cuboid, lg lithium batteries.  

juice is called baby clouds, made by transistor 3mg nic

ive turned it down due to the burning in my throat, but i was firing at 65 watts before the short and had no issues

i'm relatively new to rba and rdtas (i was using ceramic replacables prior) and i'm not quite sure how to tell you the ohms

Edited by cjco24

You should inspect your builds. You could possibly be building too low (ohms) and you are just above the threshold and with use it's dropping too low in ti a virtual short.  

Why are they shorting out?  Do you know?

You're lucky you have a mod that is courteous enough to tell you you have a short. That's why you still have a face. 

As far as the burning throat you are vaping at high watts. A fresh coil always vapes nicely at higher wattages but with use you get deteriorization of the coil, deteriorization of the wick and at high temps they dont last long.

I reccomend you have somebody who can help you inspect your builds and help you avoid shorts and make sure you are vaping within the safe limits of your batteries.  And if you're going to vape high wattage then you should get used to your coils not lasting more than a couple of days.  Besides, better builds and wicking helps them last longer. 

I'll add to what Bebop said with a "you need to invest in a dedicated ohm meter" to tell you what resistance you're building your coils on. Otherwise, you could wind up being a story on the news about how an e-cigarette blew up/blew your face off. Always stay safe.

thanks for all the help.  i believe theyre shorting out because the coil i built it touching the outer wall of the build.  i fix it moving the coil away from that outer wall and then it works fine.  just confuses me how i only get that burning throat after the short.  so example, i built a fresh coil, wicked, and everything tasted great, no burning throat.  the next day also great but then suddenly i get the "atomizer short" message, so i inspect the coil, move push them towards the middle of the build (when i bought the tank at the store the manager who helped me build my first one told me those shorts happen when metal touches metal) and then the short is fixed, but the throat burning starts right when i fix it.

I definitely am still getting used to wrapping my own coils so it could very well be the quality of them.  I'll look into the ohm meter.  I am building with the wire/cotton i was recommended at the shop so i would think they would point me in the right direction, but i guess you never truly know.

Coils can be finicky.  They can change shape and move a little when they are heated up.  Even moving them around a little can change their behavior, change their resistance.  Just their position on the deck can change how they vape.  Where they sit in relation to the airflow is HUGE and can be the difference between a sweet vale and a hot mess.  You get better at it with practice and it doesn't hurt to get advice from experienced coil builders. 

You might want to check out the builds in the RBA section of this forum.  Lots of pics there and you can compare your builds.  Or better yet, post pics of your own builds so we can help you.  

But you you should definitely know what resistance and power you are building to and not just rely on what some guy told you. I'm not saying they are wrong, just saying the more you know what you are doing, the safer and more enjoyable it will be.