I have an eleaf istick 100w with 2 efest 18650 3.7v batteries and a  uwell crown tank that I use 0.5 ohm coils with. I have recently started getting a burnt taste. I have ordered new juice through a different vendor to see if that is the issue but I really don't think it is because He has made me 3 different flavors with different nic levels but I'm gonna test the new juice tonight.  However, I have always kept my watts around 54 which reads as 5.2 v but since the burned taste started, I have it lowered to 44 (4.7 v) and it's barely hitting. I don't know if it's the coils or the batteries. I know how to prime the coils, have been doing this for over 2 yrs and have never had this issue. However, I am starting to question the ohm. I've just always used the .5 ohm but it is possible I'm using the wrong ones. PLEASE help me :( I feel like I've been living a "lie" for yrs lol

What's the PG/VG ratio of the juice you're using? The nic level of the juice would have very little to no effect on the burnt taste you're getting. It sounds more like you're getting dry hits. If you've already fried your wick, no matter what you do now, it will continue to taste burnt until you rewick your coil and clean out the juice in your tank and replace with new.

2 hours ago, kashley said:

I have an eleaf istick 100w with 2 efest 18650 3.7v batteries and a  uwell crown tank that I use 0.5 ohm coils with. I have recently started getting a burnt taste. I have ordered new juice through a different vendor to see if that is the issue but I really don't think it is because He has made me 3 different flavors with different nic levels but I'm gonna test the new juice tonight.  However, I have always kept my watts around 54 which reads as 5.2 v but since the burned taste started, I have it lowered to 44 (4.7 v) and it's barely hitting. I don't know if it's the coils or the batteries. I know how to prime the coils, have been doing this for over 2 yrs and have never had this issue. However, I am starting to question the ohm. I've just always used the .5 ohm but it is possible I'm using the wrong ones. PLEASE help me :( I feel like I've been living a "lie" for yrs lol

You could be having one of 2 problems the first is your juice.  I have had a bit of trouble with wicking in the MAX VG juices in my Crown.  I have gone back to 70VG/30PG and 60VG/40PG in mine.  If your juice vendor changed suppliers for their supplies it can change how your juice reacts to the heat. I use the .25 ohm SS coils. I normally run in Temp control at 40 - 50 watts.

It could also be the coils.  There was a batch that went out a while back that had quite a few bad ones in it.

One thing I am pretty sure of is it isn't the iStick.  It just supplies the power.  You control how much.  If your resistance is changing it could change the voltage settings compared to the watts set on the screen, but, you can still turn it up and down to produce the proper vape.  This isn't nearly as big of a problem in Wattage mod as it would be if you were using Temperature control.  You might try cleaning all of the connections in the tank and mod to see if it reads a little closer to what you are used to.

19 hours ago, Tam said:

What's the PG/VG ratio of the juice you're using? The nic level of the juice would have very little to no effect on the burnt taste you're getting. It sounds more like you're getting dry hits. If you've already fried your wick, no matter what you do now, it will continue to taste burnt until you rewick your coil and clean out the juice in your tank and replace with new.

I have went through 2 ( 4 packs) of coils. I think I'm using the wrong ohm? I've been using .5 but I'm thinking of getting the .25. But I tried the new juice I just got from another vendor that the ratio 70/30 and it's fine so far. Has been less than 24 hrs, so we'll see. The other vendor was making 80/20 I think.

17 hours ago, jasonculp said:

You could be having one of 2 problems the first is your juice.  I have had a bit of trouble with wicking in the MAX VG juices in my Crown.  I have gone back to 70VG/30PG and 60VG/40PG in mine.  If your juice vendor changed suppliers for their supplies it can change how your juice reacts to the heat. I use the .25 ohm SS coils. I normally run in Temp control at 40 - 50 watts.

It could also be the coils.  There was a batch that went out a while back that had quite a few bad ones in it.

One thing I am pretty sure of is it isn't the iStick.  It just supplies the power.  You control how much.  If your resistance is changing it could change the voltage settings compared to the watts set on the screen, but, you can still turn it up and down to produce the proper vape.  This isn't nearly as big of a problem in Wattage mod as it would be if you were using Temperature control.  You might try cleaning all of the connections in the tank and mod to see if it reads a little closer to what you are used to.

I think it could be the juice too. I talked to the guy making my juice and he said no one else is having the issue but I ordered juice from my old vendor and it's working fine now with a new coil. The new guy uses a higher VG 80/20 and my old vendor uses 70/20 and lower. I'm gonna go ahead and order .25 coils because I've never really educated myself on the different the ohm makes with my vaping.

3 hours ago, Bebop said:

Just my advice.  Don't go crazy on .25 coils. Thats way hotter than the .5.   You may want to go the other way - .8 or 1 ohm. 

38 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

^^ This ^^

I've tried coils built down to 0.1 (Kanthal), and I must say, these days, I prefer 0.8 Ohm as the lowest I can tolerate... 1.2-1.5 is my sweet-spot for flavor, which is what I'm after... not trying to be a freight-train, lol

You are both correct.  The problem is with the Crown.  It has so much airflow I can not get a warm vape with 1.2 ohm coils.  In fact with the airflow open only a fraction it is not a good vape.  The .5 coils are better but in the 50+ watt range he is running the .25 shines.  It says it is for 80 to 100 watts, but with my juice 60 is pushing it.  The funny thing is the Crown is cooler at 55 watts than my NEBOX at 35, so it has to be the airflow.  (of course the Crown is putting out 2 to 3 times the vapor)

It is defiantly a cloud producing tank.  I only use mine at home, and as a backup, but it is by far my favorite tank!

On 2/3/2016 at 5:27 PM, jasonculp said:

I have had my share of bad coils lol. What I noticed, when a new tank comes out their stock coils are great. But after a few months it seems that QC goes down hill... and that is with every subohm tank I tried. That is why I stick with the RBA, and just have stock coils handy when I cannot be bothered with rebuilding. 

Anyone else notice that, or is it just me?

7 hours ago, iQuit said:

I have had my share of bad coils lol. What I noticed, when a new tank comes out their stock coils are great. But after a few months it seems that QC goes down hill... and that is with every subohm tank I tried. That is why I stick with the RBA, and just have stock coils handy when I cannot be bothered with rebuilding. 

Anyone else notice that, or is it just me?

When the Kanger Subtank mini came out, their 1.5 Ohm coils were "meh" to me (and their 0.5 Ohm were horrid)... but I have noticed that their horizontal coils have gotten better since they came out with the vertical coils.   Either that, or the vertical coils are so bad (poor wicking, low flavor, and don't last long) that the horizontal ones "seem" better?

I will agree that the Triton's coils appear to have gotten worse over time... the last batch I bought barely last 4 tank-fulls before they are toast, and the ones I bought months ago last 10+ tanks, and have better flavor through their life... so yeah, I kinda have to agree :)

3 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

When the Kanger Subtank mini came out, their 1.5 Ohm coils were "meh" to me (and their 0.5 Ohm were horrid)... but I have noticed that their horizontal coils have gotten better since they came out with the vertical coils.   Either that, or the vertical coils are so bad (poor wicking, low flavor, and don't last long) that the horizontal ones "seem" better?

I will agree that the Triton's coils appear to have gotten worse over time... the last batch I bought barely last 4 tank-fulls before they are toast, and the ones I bought months ago last 10+ tanks, and have better flavor through their life... so yeah, I kinda have to agree :)

Sometimes I can't help and think (with a tinfoil hat on) that it is by design. TFV4 coils used to last me 3 weeks, and 2 weeks on Crown coils. Lately it's a little over a week on TFV4 and 4-5 days on Crown for me. I even tried "after market" (lol knockoffs) crown coils just to compare, and sure enough I get a week out of it.

So I am either very unlucky with a series of bad batches with my recent purchases, or getting knockoffs when I should be getting the real deal (purchased from reputable shops), or like I said by design... making us replace coils much sooner. 

13 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

The last box of Triton 1.8 ohm coils I used only lasted 5 tankfuls where the earlier versions lasted easily 10. *sighs* And... I'm off to change another damned coil now.  :( 

3 minutes ago, Tam said:

The last box of Triton 1.8 ohm coils I used only lasted 5 tankfuls where the earlier versions lasted easily 10. *sighs* And... I'm off to change another damned coil now.  :( 

I know the feeling, Tam... in the past week, I've changed a Triton coil twice, and in the same period, only one SubTank coil... The Triton lasted maybe 4 tanks, and I pushed it through #5 despite the insanely tight draw and poor flavor...

At least the horizontal SubTank coils are holding out a lot longer... averaging ~12 tanks, but I have switched to ONLY 1.2 Ohm horizontal coils or the RBA (built to 1.0-1.4 Ohm).  The RBA seems to hold out very well, too?  I have the original and PLUS RBA decks, and I've not yet decided which I like better.... both have their advantages.

BTW, I smoked/toasted/fried a 1.5 Ohm ST Vertical coil (came with the ST-mini kit) the other day... I was vaping it at 15.5W and must have changed the Wattage when I pulled it from my pocket... it didn't like 43W very well... LOL... and it sucked too, as I had just filled the tank, so 3.5ml wasted along with a coil.  I do love MODs that have a "lock" to prevent this from happening... unfortunately, the Kangertech 50W MOD doesn't have a lock :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2016 at 8:07 PM, Earthling789 said:

^^ This ^^

I've tried coils built down to 0.1 (Kanthal), and I must say, these days, I prefer 0.8 Ohm as the lowest I can tolerate... 1.2-1.5 is my sweet-spot for flavor, which is what I'm after... not trying to be a freight-train, lol

Idk, I like to have both. lol