OK, All You Turkeys

No pre-cooking done here, but the oven is sparkling clean, the house is more or less better organized and cleaner, all laundry is done, and the turkey is thawed and waiting with  all the sides to be cooked tomorrow.

I'm thankful for having all that done and this week off from work.  :)

Other things I'm thankful for is family, my friends (both online and off), and good health. Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US, happy Thursday for all others.  :D

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I made pies tonight! Pumpkin, cherry and pineapple. We are going to my brother's in-laws for turkey dinner. We are also bringing salad and some squash thing. We also made candied pecans for the salad, we were too cheap to buy them.

I was making the pumpkin pie and my mom actually asked me if I knew how to use a can opener. The look I gave here was priceless. Really? You don't think I can open a can? She started laughing, I thought for sure she was going to pee her pants.

FYI, for those that don't know, I live with my parents. I moved in with them a year ago to help my mom take care of my father.

We are doing something different this year, she found a recipe on the internet on how to cook a turkey breast  in the crockpot. I guess all you do is put the dressing in the bottom of the crockpot, put the turkey on top of it, cook on high for 1 hour then on low for 6 more hours. Hope it works like its supposed to, if it don't I'll have to fill up on pie.

BTW hope everybody has a good Thanksgiving

Edited by FXRich
I wanted to

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

We are doing something different this year, she found a recipe on the internet on how to cook a turkey breast  in the crockpot. I guess all you do is put the dressing in the bottom of the crockpot, put the turkey on top of it, cook on high for 1 hour then on low for 6 more hours. Hope it works like its supposed to, if it don't I'll have to fill up on pie.

I have done this! Minus the stuffing. It turns out really well. The breast is nice and moist. The only part I didn't like was the skin, it didn't brown very well. I put it under the broiler for a few minutes to brown up the skin and make it crispy.

Deez - how can you work while thest of us stay home? Would anubody miss you if you didnt show up?  :lol:

Pineapple pie?  Never tried it. I'll try anything at least once.  

Stuffing is half the turkey. Fact.

Have a great day everyone. :D

Did a lot yesterday, pies and such It is almost time to get the BBQ fired up (charcoal) and cook the bird. I don't add stuffing so it cooks faster. ;) I will be doing stove top stuffing though. Can't have Turkey without stuffing. LOL We are having a late dinner because the SO has to work today till 5pm so timing it is essential. 

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

thanksgiving-pic-008.jpg

Well, I stayed up half the night making a Bourbon ham with Ginger crust... My son bought the ham, which was huge, and it took 8-hrs to fully cook, lol.  Sorry, no pic of it yet... darn phone isn't wanting to upload correctly this morning :(

I'll be going to two dinners this long weekend... one today, one Saturday... and the ham is just for me and the boys to eat :D (apparently through to Christmas, lol)

1448556231984966647754.jpg

Edited by Earthling789
Added image

1 hour ago, Bebop said:

Deez - how can you work while thest of us stay home? Would anubody miss you if you didnt show up?  :lol:

Goodmorning everyone 

Happy thanksgiving everyone have a great time.

Im on my way to work now

No work no eat

9 hours ago, FXRich said:

Makes sense, I thought maybe like some people you don't like dressing. A turkey in the summer means lots of turkey sandwiches.

For one person, it makes lots of sandwiches, salads and stir fry. It was really good! I hope you are not disappointed.

8 hours ago, Tam said:

Pineapple pie? Never heard of it before but it sounds delicious!

1 hour ago, Bebop said:

The local grocery bakery used to sell them in full and half sizes. I would buy the half size. For some reason they stopped selling them, the baker said she was surprised, the pie was popular. It was sweet, tasted like pineapple. Desserts with pineapple can be really sweet, but the pie was just right.

Had a craving, jumped on google and found a recipe. This is the first time I made this pie. Will have to see how it turned out. The recipe is simple.

We finished up the cooking Tuesday night, thankfully I was only in charge of broccoli casserole, and green bean casserole.  My wife was on pecan and pumpkin pie duty.  We had a great meal with one set of kids last night, and my parents today, so we are basically finished for this year.  It was a good Thanksgiving.

Now like Dees...back to work.  I have a few hours worth of stuff that has to be done today, and plenty to do through the long weekend.  My wife has to work Friday - Sunday, so I might as well work.

I hope every one has a great Thanksgiving!

PS- In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I will be PIF 2 SubTank Mini's a 2 mods....  I hate to see a Vapor in need...

38 minutes ago, jasonculp said:

We finished up the cooking Tuesday night, thankfully I was only in charge of broccoli casserole, and green bean casserole.  My wife was on pecan and pumpkin pie duty.  We had a great meal with one set of kids last night, and my parents today, so we are basically finished for this year.  It was a good Thanksgiving.

Now like Dees...back to work.  I have a few hours worth of stuff that has to be done today, and plenty to do through the long weekend.  My wife has to work Friday - Sunday, so I might as well work.

I hope every one has a great Thanksgiving!

PS- In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I will be PIF 2 SubTank Mini's a 2 mods....  I hate to see a Vapor in need...

Nice

Put the SO in charge of taking the turkey from the freezer and putting it into the fridge to defrost about a week ago. Took it out of the fridge (in the garage) today and... we had a turkey-cicle. He had turned the fridge down to 34 degrees. Thankfully, it's a small-ish turkey so I was able to mostly thaw it out before putting it into an oven bag and into an oven. We might be having turkey sometime after 8 pm tonight. In the mean time, we'll make do with all the sides. From now on I think I'm only buying fresh turkeys and not frozen.  :lol:

They did and were delicious! It was the first time I BBQ roasted them and other veggies with the bird. The drippings made the best gravy we have had and added some nice extra flavoring to the turkey as well. If you like  turnips I would defiantly recommend it!

2 minutes ago, Compenstine said:

They did and were delicious! It was the first time I BBQ roasted them with and other veggies with the bird. The drippings made the best gravy we have had and added some nice extra flavoring to the turkey as well. If you like  turnips I would defiantly recommend it!

It looks so good I got home late from work and no food but it's OK. I will try next year my friend