Throat Roasting

I've been vaping for over 6 1/2 years.  Early on, I jumped at every new device.  The last few years, I've been waiting a while (quite a while) before buying a new vaping rig.

I made the leap to sub-ohm vaping a week and a half ago.  I upgraded from a 20W eLeaf with an eLeaf GSAir and a 1.5 Ohm atomizer to a 50W eLeaf with a Joyetech Delta II and a 0.5 Ohm atomizer.  I use my own homemade e-liquid at 70/30 PG/VG.

After adjusting the wattage upward to 30W, I totally barbecued my tonsils.  I had a sore throat for three days, during which time I went back to my previous rig.  I have no allergy to PG or VG (I would've known by now).  No, it's the heat and my habit of regular usage.  (I don't want to say I chain vape, because I don't, but I use my e-cig frequently).

Sore throat went away with Advil and salt water gargling.  I'm back to trying out the sub-ohm rig, but now I'm vaping at 20 watts and spacing the time of my draws out. No problems, but no big clouds either.

So what happened to me?  What am I missing?  Can I be one of the cool sub-ohm kids or what?

I'd say the 70% PG, and the Nicotine level is what did you in...  When you go below 1.0 Ohms, you have to really dial back your Nicotine, and up your VG content to 50% or higher.

I regularly use 12mg in my 1.5 Ohm tanks, but when I sub-ohm, even to 0.5, I drop my Nicotine to 3mg to cut back on the burn and the buzz... Nicotine is absorbed faster as heat increases :)  Also, you're not getting any "real" cloud because of the PG content.  VG is the cloud producer, and sub-ohm coils really prefer 50/50 to 30/70 mixes so you don't fry your throat...

Excellent advice, Earthling.  I failed to mention I'm vaping 6 mg in both instances.  My main reason for going sub-ohm was to further dial down my nicotine intake.  Seems paradoxical that I'd be absorbing more nic by sub-ohming a lower mg content, but it makes sense the way you put it.

I'll brew up some 50/50 at 3 mg and post back.

If you're use to 6mg at 1.5 Ohms, you may want to dial on down to 1.5 or 2mg :D  You'd be amazed how much a difference it will make to drop your nicotine levels by 50-90% when you sub-ohm (depending on how low you go).

Since your dropping your Ohms by 66%, and increasing your heat (dramatically), you'll probably find that 3mg is still too much, since it is only half what you were using at 1.5 Ohms?

Nicotine is absorbed faster as heat increases.  This has been proven by researchers many years ago when testing the patch...   Yes, this has been discussed in several threads, but always warrants re-stating ;)

You are not technically increasing your intake by sub-ohming, but your body processes the Nicotine faster when sub-ohming, which is why you should reduce the Nicotine levels in your juice.  You get more volume and it is absorbed faster (hotter), so it takes less to do the same job, so to speak... Think of it like shot-gunning a beer, or taking shots of Bourbon, rather than sipping...

• 3 weeks later...