Here is a great 18650 test.

jasonculp

Jon at Liion Wholesale did this test at the request of a user on another forum, and it shows yet another factor we need to look at when comparing batteries.  We normally look at Amps and mAh to know which cells to choose, but battery sag makes a difference too.

This test is right in the range of a .2 ohm mechanical build or what a single 18650 variable wattage mod would do at 70 watts or so (regardless of ohms)

Best 18650 battery at 0.2 ohm or 16-21A pulsed loads

There seems to be a pretty good availability of VTC4 and VTC5 cells on the market again.  I try to only buy them from battery specific dealers.  The VTC4 seems to hold a $2 premium over the 25R without a whole lot of benefits, except continuous discharge amp ratings.

If you are keeping it in the 20A range the 25R is great, but the LG HG2 and the Samsung 30Q are edging it out with an extra 500mah, but they are usually $2.00 higher each.

In the 25A to 30A range the VTC4 is king.  It is a couple bucks higher than the other batteries out there, but it is probably the best in that range.

Over 30A the LG HB6 seems to be the only one that is passing all of the tests.  It only has 1500 mah though.  I guess one good thing is they are cheap (around $5)

My favorite battery shops lately are:

Liion Wholesale (I have 4 on order here)

illumn (I have ordered 12 since July)

RTD Vapors (I have ordered 2 from them)

I've always known my VTC4 and 25R preformed well in my Mechs, as well as my regulated boxes, so this is good info to support my theory as well.  I've been using a few LG HE2 to try them out, and I must say they perform very well, too, but don't seem to last as long as the 25R's (maybe an hour or two less)... or it could just be my imagination, too? lol  I'd love to see the LG's put through this same test.

I've always known my VTC4 and 25R preformed well in my Mechs, as well as my regulated boxes, so this is good info to support my theory as well.  I've been using a few LG HE2 to try them out, and I must say they perform very well, too, but don't seem to last as long as the 25R's (maybe an hour or two less)... or it could just be my imagination, too? lol  I'd love to see the LG's put through this same test.

I have really loved my 25R's.  My first 2 batches that I bought are starting to get a little weak.  I have PIF a few, but I don't feel like it is best thing to do, so as I replace them, I will recycle them.  I recycled my last set of VTC3's, but all of my VTC4's are still running good (they are all married).

I think I am going to start replacing my 25R's, HE2's, and HE4's with HG2's and possibly 30Q's.  I can tell a noticeable difference in how long they last.  The HG2 preforms nearly as good (Total Amperage) as the 25R but lasts longer.  I am also going to try out the 30Q's.  They are only rated at 15A, but tests about like a 20A battery.  Since I only vape at 40 watts I should be ok because that is only 14 A. ((40/3.2)*1.1)  I have a pair on order, I will post my very unscientific findings as soon as I try them out.

I've looked at the HG2 as well... but haven't tried any of them.  I figure as more of my older batteries reach retirement, I'll try something newer/better, and the HG2 are at the top of my list.

I've been running 25R's almost exclusively since January, and so far have only lost two of them (probably older stock?), and still have 10 running strong.  My VTC4's have been work-horses for more than a year, but I've retired them to use only in my Cloupor's where they will see lower Wattage demands, and hopefully will last even longer that way?  Even though they are only 2100mAh, they still last nearly 2-days in my Cloupor's (running 8.5-12W avg).

I've looked at the HG2 as well... but haven't tried any of them.  I figure as more of my older batteries reach retirement, I'll try something newer/better, and the HG2 are at the top of my list.

I've been running 25R's almost exclusively since January, and so far have only lost two of them (probably older stock?), and still have 10 running strong.  My VTC4's have been work-horses for more than a year, but I've retired them to use only in my Cloupor's where they will see lower Wattage demands, and hopefully will last even longer that way?  Even though they are only 2100mAh, they still last nearly 2-days in my Cloupor's (running 8.5-12W avg).

I have only lost 1 25R completely, but I can tell that some are not lasting as long as they were.  I normally put in a fresh one before I leave to work, then replace that evening (8 - 10 PM).  With the HG2, I don't have to replace.

I realize that is totally unscientific, but it seems to be consistent.

On a side note, I have been leaving batteries in my ipvD2 overnight, and it seems to be slowly draining them.  I think I need to start taking them out at night.

I have only lost 1 25R completely, but I can tell that some are not lasting as long as they were.  I normally put in a fresh one before I leave to work, then replace that evening (8 - 10 PM).  With the HG2, I don't have to replace.

I realize that is totally unscientific, but it seems to be consistent.

On a side note, I have been leaving batteries in my ipvD2 overnight, and it seems to be slowly draining them.  I think I need to start taking them out at night.

Yes, I've noticed some of my 25R's aren't lasting as long as they use to... but that is to be expected as they age/cycle.

Interesting about batteries draining... I've noticed if I leave a battery in my IPV-mini V2 (black one), it will slowly drain a battery... If I don't use it for a couple of days, the battery will be completely dead, or at least too low to use for very long.  But, none of my other IPV's do that.  Guess I need to stop leaving batteries in that one, or perhaps send it back for repair/inspection? :D

Anyone tried the new kanger 18650's?

I have not even seen them anywhere.

Looking them up it says they are made by LG and have 20A continuous discharge, and 2500 mah.  I assume since the specs are the same, they are a LG 18650HE2 so if you are paying over $5.00 you are paying a premium for Kanger to add their name to it.

The new Aspire 18650 tests pretty good but it is a ICR. (less safe than IMR)

I don't run rewraps unless I rewrap them myself.  I am not going to pay extra to get a cheap battery with a fancy wrapper that has overinflated numbers on it.  Good batteries are way too cheap to buy the unknown.

Yes, I've noticed some of my 25R's aren't lasting as long as they use to... but that is to be expected as they age/cycle.

Interesting about batteries draining... I've noticed if I leave a battery in my IPV-mini V2 (black one), it will slowly drain a battery... If I don't use it for a couple of days, the battery will be completely dead, or at least too low to use for very long.  But, none of my other IPV's do that.  Guess I need to stop leaving batteries in that one, or perhaps send it back for repair/inspection? :D

This is totally an assumption on my part.  I just know I put a fresh battery in, in the evening and it is nearly dead first thing in the morning.  I could be vaping more than I think at night, or it is pulling a little power at rest.  I guess it could be the cat...but I doubt it.

If I have time I will build a rig to check voltage drop.  I have been wanting to make one anyway to test the efficient of the board, but I was going to wait for my shunts to come in so I can measure it up to full amp draw.

• 2 weeks later...