Spending bill exempts e-cigs from FDA review

I read that three times, and I'm not confident it is "Good news" to the vaping industry, but it appears that Republicans are at least starting to listen to the public (ie Vapers).

If I read this (horribly written article) correctly, what I got from it is they shot down the proposal which would have removed exemptions for current products on the market, which exempt the current vaping industry from regulation while the FDA figures out how to regulate.  So, for now, the exemption still exists in the funding bill?

Big Tobacco must be seething right now, because they have been pushing to kill exemptions to anything but THEIR products and THEIR control.

Please, if I read it wrong, let me know...

You did read it correctly and it is good news, at least in the interim. 

The funding bill was presented with the exemptions in place.  The exemptions would exclude any product currently on the market and (I believe) any product introduced up through at least 2016.  Democrats introduced an amendment to the bill that would have struck that language from the bill.  That amendment is what was blocked.  Essentially, the bill will move forward as written.  Whether it passes officially or not is another question entirely, but since the FDA needs their money, I'm sure somebody somewhere will lobby to get the bill passed as written.

Whatever ends up happening with the FDA, I do agree that some sort of regulation regarding e-liquid is concerned, but where devices are concerned, I don't see how they can regulate them.  They aren't tobacco products.  To me, regulating devices is tantamount to regulating lighters, matches, candles, torches or any other device that is capable of lighting a cigarette.

Thanks for sharing the article, it was an interesting exercise in my ability to translate badly written English into something semi-comprehensible.

And to think English is my second language while the author of this so-called article claims it as her first. So sad...  :(

Thanks for sharing the article, it was an interesting exercise in my ability to translate badly written English into something semi-comprehensible.

And to think English is my second language while the author of this so-called article claims it as her first. So sad...  :(

Oh, it was English, but obviously the author has spent way too much time reporting on politics, and even her translation of the events were written in political-ese :)

Oh, it was English, but obviously the author has spent way too much time reporting on politics, and even her translation of the events were written in political-ese :)

Is that what you call it? Each word was recognizable but put them together like that? Not so much. To me, it looked more like Double-speak-ese.   :evil:

Is that what you call it? Each word was recognizable but put them together like that? Not so much. To me, it looked more like Double-speak-ese.   :evil:

Double-speak-ese?  You've not read too many bills have you? :D  Most bills are so full of quadruple-negatives and back-talk that not even the authors can decipher the meanings... and thus the reason the Supreme Court rulings on them are usually split to where one vote decides the outcome (ie Translation).

Double-speak-ese?  You've not read too many bills have you? :D  Most bills are so full of quadruple-negatives and back-talk that not even the authors can decipher the meanings... and thus the reason the Supreme Court rulings on them are usually split to where one vote decides the outcome (ie Translation).

I've probably written more briefs and read through my share of bills than I care to admit. Only in law and politics can the English language become so twisted.  :lol: