First time DIY was a disaster

Tug

Got all my stuff to make my own juice today and it didn't turn out as planned.i used a calculator and measured perfectly but the flavor is really bland...any tips would be greatly appreciated.Ive always had respect for people who do this but I have even more respect given how difficult it really is.

I think I know what I messed up on now,I thought since these flavors were concentrates that they would be really potent and strong so I kept my percentage of flavor pretty low.

Some flavorings are really strong, some are not... but I've found that keeping your flavorings between 15% and 30% of the total volume makes for much better taste.  I too have tried some at the flavoring manufacturer's recommendation of 5-10%, and it just wasn't even close.  I think those 5% numbers are if you are adding flavors to drinks or foods.  E-liquids need a bit more "oomph", IMO.

Edit:

Also, Tug, I just re-read your PG content... and since PG is your flavor carrier, using only 20/80 PG/VG ratio means you have very little flavor carrier in the bottle, so you will need MORE flavorings to compensate.  Perhaps at 50/50 ratio, 10% flavoring may be better, or maybe you'd only need a few more drops to take it to 15%?  80/20 juices take less flavoring than 20/80 ratio juices :)

Edited by Earthling789

remember you can always add, you cant take it out but you can try like hell to dilute it. all my flavorings are tfa and most of which I enjoy at 10% per volume, though I do like my flavor weaker and not so much in your face. for me I like to add less flavoring for dripping and add more for tanks. just my two cents

I'll toss you a bone Tug... As a rule do not go below 20% on any flavoring to start, except Tobacco flavors. On high VG mixes that rule changes to 25%.

Yep, I've found that out through trial-and-error... 18-22% seems to be just right for most of my concoctions, and some of the higher VG blends have been pushed to 30% to maintain a reasonable flavor, or at least a flavor I like.  Strong tobacco and really tart fruits (e.g. lemon) also don't need as much ratio either. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys :-),

How has this been working out for you? Im doing 70 VG 30 PG at first some flavors at 20% seem to sweet but then the sweetness dies down after giving some aging time, I have been using 20% flavoring. 

I'll toss you a bone Tug... As a rule do not go below 20% on any flavoring to start, except Tobacco flavors. On high VG mixes that rule changes to 25%.

What would your thoughts be for just Caramel Candy would you stick with 20-25% on that? Or less, I noticed with a Choc/fudge I did 20% flavor looked like black tar lol  

I don't use to many FW flavorings, but have noticed the chocolates they carry are very dark. Yes I would still go at least 20. If you want a lighter color Chocolate then you may want to try The Flavor Apprentice (TFA). When it comes to chocolate and coffee flavors are dark by nature. The Caramel from TFA is a med tan color. I think it has good flavor as well.

The darker color flavors will burn out coils faster, but it is the flavor that really matters. You know when it has too much flavor if it has a chemical after taste.

I don't use to many FW flavorings, but have noticed the chocolates they carry are very dark. Yes I would still go at least 20. If you want a lighter color Chocolate then you may want to try The Flavor Apprentice (TFA). When it comes to chocolate and coffee flavors are dark by nature. The Caramel from TFA is a med tan color. I think it has good flavor as well.

The darker color flavors will burn out coils faster, but it is the flavor that really matters. You know when it has too much flavor if it has a chemical after taste.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. 

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/5/2015 at 7:28 PM, Compenstine said:

I love the darker chocolate flavors and YUP they do go through the coils ....but think of all the calories I'm not eating :) I'll get the coils

Most of my flavors are FW but the chocolate I use comes from TFA and is almost clear, and the coils last longer. I don't know how it compares to the dark chocolate but it does taste like chocolate to me. It seems like when I add a little TFA caramel to the mix it brings out the chocolate flavor a little more. I hope eventually I can find a lighter color coffee flavor, but probably not.