Just got a Melo RTA. Interesting...

EverPresentNoob

So I just got my new Melo RTA in the mail from SweetVapes.  love the idea of a sub-ohm that I can use on my 98 mile commute to work.  Kinda hard to continuously refill my dripper while driving.  I tried the Atlantis, but I couldn't deal with the spitting that I got from it.  Someone suggested the Melo, and that the coils from it might work pretty good in my Atlantis.  well I had to fill the new tank and give it a shot first ya know?

SO compared to the Atlantis it has a slightly tighter draw.  I normally ran the Atlantis wide open, this is more like between the second and third setting on the Atlantis.  cloud production is about the same as Atlantis.  Flavor is darn good pretty much like my Atlantis was.  

I have Ideas as to how I can free up more airflow in it and I may just try that.  Overall I like this tank. but then I have only been playing with it for about an hour.  I plan on trying its coil in my Atlantis tomorrow and see if that does anything for the spitting I was getting there.

A drillbit comes in handy...

Exactly!  that and there is a pin in one of the air holes that keeps the ring from rotating all the way around.  Im going to field strip this thing tomorrow, pull the pin and remove the material between the holes making them slots rather than smallish holes.

looks to me that you could punch that pin on through to get 1 more hole open,, before you bore holes into slots...

20150311_082258.jpg

you should end up with more airflow than Atlantis has...

Edited by HOOKER

Funny you mention that...  I used a small drift punch and knocked the pin all the way through and drilled the holes a touch wider....

IMAG0555_zpsfxuwpb3f.jpg

If you look closely you can see that the pin is stepped...  the narrow portion is what is stick in the hole.  I pushed it through with out much trouble, but it may serve you better to go to the hole on the opposite side and drive it the other way.  

Then I got thinking and grabbed my dremel with a cutting disk and turned the three holes into one slot just like the atlantis...

IMAG0557_zps8hbmvmap.jpg

The airflow is great now, slightly better than my Atlantis is.  and yes the ring is turned a touch in this pic.  the slot in both base and ring match up just fine.  

Dont mind the Pink bear in the back ground...  My Pug needed a Valentines Day gift as well, or so my wife thought...

IMAG0558_zpspagbvv7h.jpg

Edited by EverPresentNoob

nice work & plenty of airflow..

that will get ya where ya want to go!!!

I noticed the other day that the replacement coils are about $1. cheaper than the Atlantis coils (in 5pks)...

And they seem to work a touch better too.  My Atlantis still spits a lot, but the wick holes in he Melo coils are lower so in the Atlantis you can vape it until the tank is darn near empty with out exposing the wicking holes.  But this Melo seems to perform WAY better than my Atlantis...

I was admiring that curio cabinet in the corner,,

try tell'n your wife you want to use it to store your vaping supplies...

bet ya get the same look I got from mine..

I decided to build my own cabinet,,

when its ALL said & done she'd a wished she would have bought me a nice curio cabinet!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow you guys must want LOTS of airflow! I run my MELO at 3-of-5 holes open, and it is great for all day use. If I am vaping up a storm I can open the other two holes and it feels preety unrestricted to me.

Since I am a n00b, what is the benefit that made you want even more airflow?

lots of flavor if your running a higher PG & lots of cloud if your running higher VG,,

I decided a lil of both,, I love the taste of my Tobacco juice but every once in a while I want to see my money & put a 80% VG in it just to FOG for Mosquitos....

• 4 weeks later...

Wow you guys must want LOTS of airflow! I run my MELO at 3-of-5 holes open, and it is great for all day use. If I am vaping up a storm I can open the other two holes and it feels preety unrestricted to me.

Amen.

now Melo & Atlantis have more coil choices, since they use the same coils..

Aspire has released the long awaited .3 & 1.0 ohm coils...

Aspire had to keep up with other mfgrs that blew past them in the SubOhm World..