Cable and satelite prices?

I'm not much of a techy. That said, TV access is getting expensive enough to make me have second thoughts about even having it. Just curious if anyone is utilizing any other options that may now be available, via other technology, for cable access.

Edited by kerk

I'm like you but I just got a fire stick and with Netflix and being a Amazon Prime member I find myself hardly turning on the cable except for news and sports. I can't see a way to cut the cable completely and they do not offer a news and sports package so I guess I will keep at least basic cable for those but am about to drop all the premium channels.

When DirectTV decided to raise my rates for the 5th time in 5-years (had them for 13 years total), I dropped them like a hot rock... Dish Network wasn't any better with prices, and my local cable offered more channels for less price anyway (and I had to have cable for my Internet out here in the sticks).

My local cable (not a big-name like Comcast) is independent, and offers my 25mbps Internet and roughly 250 digital channels for $102/month (not including premium stuff like HBO, etc.)... and once they finish laying fiber, I'll get 150mbps for the same price! :)

99% of what we watch on TV is downloaded or streamed anyway... I HATE commercials!! And, I enjoy being able to store my shows on my media server and watch them when "I" want... an episode or a season... not when the network says I get to watch them....

I have Direct TV. It is running me $169/month.

My internet/home phone is $111/month.

I live in a small town, no cable, no competition, no luck. My stepson is one of the phone technicians in my town and he says we have some of the best internet in town. I pay for 15mbps and get closer to 5. I can't do away with my home phone due to no cell coverage, and can't do away with the dish because the internet sucks.

I live in a really small town too, thus the independent cable company... fortunately they are a good cable company!

When I moved into my current house, there was no cable within a mile of it, so I had no choice but dial-up for Internet and DirectTV for my viewing pleasures... when the cable company began offering cable Internet, with free hook-up, my wife stopped by the office and paid the deposit and first month's service. Now, did you catch the part about "no cable within a mile"? :D Yeah, neither did they.... so when they came out to hook us up, the soon realized they had to run new line (just over a mile) to actually accomplish this feat... They hated me at that moment, but I've been a loyal top-tier customer since that day... and they also added a few more customers from that extra mile of cable, too... so it was a win-win for all of us...

The best part is... since they are laying all new fiber (as part of the high-speed initiative for poor counties), the fiber-hub is about 100-yds from my house, and I'll be one of the first to see 150mbps (happy dance)!

As for cell-phone reception... yeah... we're listed on every major carrier as a "roaming" or "fringe" area... which is why I switched from Sprint to Republic Wireless... They operate on wifi priority model, and Sprint as fail-over... for $25/month - unlimited everything :D I'm near wifi 95% of my day anyway... why not use it?

That is cool! I wish I could get something decent for cheaper. I really love my television. We don't do a lot, so the television is a large source of entertainment. We also like Big 12 Football and it takes a good programming package to view it. They are laying fiber everywhere around here. The closest fiber (that isn't the phone company) is 6 miles away. It is rumored to be headed our way in the next few years. Our local phone company is loosing users so rapidly that I assume they will soon no longer be a copper phone company. My stepson is taking fiber classes and networking to hopefully be ready for when it happens. I hope they get it done sooner than later.

I guess if I would quit spending $111 a month for internet, $169 a month for television, $145 a month for cell phones, I could get out of debt and move a bigger town. My wife is sick of the commute. I drive for work, so it really doesn't matter where I live as long as it is North of San Antonio and South of Colorado.

Our COX bundle package price has left most of us here in OK looking for different options..

However their internet speed is top notch & most of us here are reluctant to change.

I let the Bitter 1/2 take care of knowing & remembering all the technical hoopla,, I just pay the bill & go on...

Iv been using a android tv box for past few years, haven't paid a bill for years. You get whatever channels you want, any season and any episode of any tv show. Ppv are all free like ufc etc. All you need is Internet connection.

Edited by yeroc1982

We have a little xbmc box that we paid $250 for. It connects to the internet to provide free movies and TV shows,

I am interested in this. My connection is not that great, so I don't know how it would work. I built a xbmc box a few years ago but never got it working well. What type of subscription service do you use?

Iv been using a android tv box for past few years, haven't paid a bill for years. You get whatever channels you want, any season and any episode of any tv show. Ppv are all free like ufc etc. All you need is Internet connection.

What type of box is this? How would I find more information?

I am really interested in all of this. I can get my locals via antenna. More than half of my stuff I watch is network. I really like to watch Big 12 football, is there an option for that? My Direct TV contract is up soon.

I am interested in this. My connection is not that great, so I don't know how it would work. I built a xbmc box a few years ago but never got it working well. What type of subscription service do you use?

There is no subscription service. It connects to the interwebs and finds sites that stream movies.If your internet connection is slow I wouldnt recommend it. I have FIOS so no worries there. http://www.streamsmart.tv

I think it's called a UgoOs UT2, with android marking on it. But yeah you just stream everything. I'm not even using a good Internet connection(dsl) and I love it! High Def stuff buffers on occasion but not bad at all. For the money iv saved, it's perfect. There is actually too much stuff to pick from, between movies new and old as well as tv shows.

We have a little xbmc box that we paid $250 for. It connects to the internet to provide free movies and TV shows,

So, to use such a device, what speed service would you need? I also wonder, as of today, what taxes you are going to start paying, thanks to the FCC.

So, to use such a device, what speed service would you need? I also wonder, as of today, what taxes you are going to start paying, thanks to the FCC.

The site has this in their FAQ's:

Do I need cable for the receiver to work? ​

No, all you need is an internet connection 10mb or faster.

The site has this in their FAQ's:

Do I need cable for the receiver to work? ​

No, all you need is an internet connection 10mb or faster.

Guess I'm out of luck. Provider says can't even get 6mb where I'm at.