BCV XXIX

smacksy

Ib28461f42583a3c775a72e7a8b3db5f5.jpg

I was fortunate enough to get this XXIX

as an early Christmas gift...for those of you that own this all copper mech mod I was wondering what to use to clean the switch safely.. I read everything from acetone to ScotchBrite but I don't think either is good for copper..please advise..

BTW, I'm new to the forum and in fact this is my very first post...thx again

Well, I was going to say alcohol, but then you said it was copper, and I have no idea. Unless maybe you put a coat of poly over the copper so it won't tarnish from the oil in your hands (I know some paint jobs on the REOs people do that because of tarnishing, and I don't know how copper reacts with repeated, often near constant handling). I just don't know enough about copper to know, but actually, I'm pretty sure that unless the copper is coated with something, you should be okay with either acetone or alcohol - that's just from my experience with our copper pipes, which is limited, I know.

I'll be following this topic so I can see what others have to say.

EDIT: Just spoke with my SO, who has MUCH more experience with copper. He said nix the acetone, he would be worried about that, but alcohol SHOULD be okay.

Still, following this thread to see what others have to say.

Edited by spydre

Well, I was going to say alcohol, but then you said it was copper, and I have no idea. Unless maybe you put a coat of poly over the copper so it won't tarnish from the oil in your hands (I know some paint jobs on the REOs people do that because of tarnishing, and I don't know how copper reacts with repeated, often near constant handling). I just don't know enough about copper to know, but actually, I'm pretty sure that unless the copper is coated with something, you should be okay with either acetone or alcohol - that's just from my experience with our copper pipes, which is limited, I know.

I'll be following this topic so I can see what others have to say.

Thanks, but I was asking about cleaning the inside of the copper magnetic switch.. I use NevrDull to clean and polish the tube..

You can use baking soda and water mixed to about the consistency of toothpaste. I usually use an old toothbrush but you can use the brillow pad side of one of those green and yellow sponges. It won't harm your copper and if there's any corrosion it should take it right off.

I don't know if they still do but that's what they used to use to clean the statue of liberty.

Another good way to clean copper contracts are those Sparkly little erasers. Or just plain old eraser works great. Use them all the time

Contacts*

I do use the green non-scratch ScotchBrite pads on the single batt contact with a little alcohol that works pretty good..this mod uses a hybrid top cap thus no contact to clean topside..the inside edge of the switch housing and outside edge of the copper button is where the tarnish builds up. Can't fit an eraser down in there otherwise it would indeed be a good choice..same deal cutting a piece of ScotchBrite to fit in there too..appreciate the help..thx