Is Too Much Possible?

jonnoh

I think I have too much stuff. I have 3 mvp's, an e-LVT water proof thingy, 3 SVTs 4 i taste pen thingys, several egoTs, countless batteries, chargers of all shapes etc. But just now after a couple weeks of no use, I hooked a tank on my first VV mvp that I got in April, and although I put it away fully charged, it only lasted 44 tokes. I only use those pen thingys for traveling because they are easy to pack and use a micro usb to charge so they are very convenient but don't last as long. Basically what I'm taking such a long time to get around to asking, like you know, beating around the bush: Do I need to 'exercise' these batteries to keep them working? Or do they drain down a lot just lying fallow? Or do I wear them out faster by using mostly one all the time? I just kinda when I'm on a roll of really sweet vaping hate to change to another battery source and have to fiddle with the settings just to try to get what I already had going. Thanks in advance for any input or ideas.

I'm not a fan of the link you put up, copper. It's a little confusing and primarily deal with lap top and cell phone batteries. Nog only that but it is old and not clear if it's been edited and kept up to date. This technology changes pretty rapidly.

Also there are a few classes of lithium ion batteries and so information may not apply to all types. There is a newer link to batteries more relevant to vaping. I'll see if I can dig it up.

In general our batteries have a "cycle life". They don't last forever. They are prone to heat deterioration so keep them cool. Under moderate conditions the discharge rate in storage is quite low - as I recall, a few percent per month but again that can be reduced by heat. Generally speaking you can't wear them out from non use or over use. You should get 300+ charging cycles out of a battery. Quality of the original battery can be a factor. And once the battery will not hold a charge, it's done. As they age or progress thru their charging cycles, the voltage drops happen sooner and battery life shortens. Oddly enough, one of my original 1300mah Vision Spinners is still kicking and one I bought only 6 months ago died prematurely. Go figure.... :)

This has always been a concern of mine since I started this hobby. My MVP is still going great, and it is the one of the oldest batteries that I have. Of course it is only 5 - 6 months old. It is now disassembled awaiting a 510 transplant.

My habit is to vape all day, charge all night with the MVP and now the iSticks. Is this ok? They only drain to about half before I charge them. I know other chemistry batteries it was better to discharge them quite a bit before recharging them. I know the type batteries we use now don't have a memory, but what is the best practice?

I tend to do the same if not worse with my mechanical batteries. I was using them for a few hours in the evening, the putting on the charger (Nitecore i4). I have started rotating them and using them more. I will use one until it gets a bit weak, then switch. When I get 4 that are not charged, I charge them all.

I have 2 VTC4's that i have held back to use in a possible dual 18650 electronic mod, and I keep them in a drawer, isolated and have not charged, or used them. Is this bad? Do I need to check them every so often?

I have 2 VTC4's that i have held back to use in a possible dual 18650 electronic mod, and I keep them in a drawer, isolated and have not charged, or used them. Is this bad? Do I need to check them every so often?

It wouldn't hurt to cycle them a time or two.

I've been doing the same thing ever since I started using my batteries. I charge them whenever I want. I don't care how much or how little I use them. I top them off after an hour or I run them down to flashing. I haven't noticed a bit of difference.

Actually, you prolong the life by charging them more frequently (without draining them down below 1/2 charge).

Rotating batteries is a difficult thing, especially when you have a bunch of them. When I had 6-8 eGo's, I rotated them often, but then "forgot" about them as I used my MVP and MODs more... I was afraid they had ran-down in storage, but every one of them (when put on the charger) clicked to green within just a few minutes, and they are none the worse for wear (although I've given all but a couple away).

Bebop is right... in cool, dry storage, they will lose about 1-2% charge per month, maintaining from 80-90% after a year of storage (typically). BUT, if you store one drained, it may never live again.... Always top them off before storing away or long periods of non-use... and if possible, just rotate them into your routine so they see some "love" from time to time....

I say use one battery mainly with a backup with you. Save the rest to use consecutively as one of the ones you currently use, dies for good! Generally batteries last a while depending of course on quality and how often you Vape.

I have been super happy with the quality of my eSTICK and how long the charge lasts! I charge mine maybe every second day, and use it all the time!!

They are having a super good sale if you want to score a cool kit for trial!

http://shop.juicyejuice.com/electronic-cigarettes/estick-starter-kits.html