Quick question about what can replace coils in KPTs and Evods

Okay, was at my "usual" B&M this weekend, although the trips there are usually limited to once a month, and since I was down to 1 coil, I figured I'd bite the bullet and get coils there rather than ordering. So I got one five pack. Except she says, "We don't have 2.5, we have 2.4 resistance." No box, just a card with 5 packs blistered on to it, with Smok branded across the foil on the back. I asked again, are you SURE you can use these in KPTs, and I was assured, yes, yes, yes, you could. And the price for a five pack was the same as if I had ordered from my go-to coil supply site (including shipping) - which should have tipped me off because all the other shops in the area carry the Kanger coil packs for $10 (which is $2 more than this Smok pack cost me).

Later that day, (Saturday), when I was thinking about changing a coil, I hesitated, and started looking up, and on Smok's retail online store, the 2.4 coils are specifically for AROs, GBCs, and some others, but not Kangers. I did some further looking on the site, and yes, they have Smoke branded coils that specifically fit the Kanger products - WITH the Kanger resistance levels. I've left a message for the shop to get back to me, asking if this is indeed the product that is not made for Kangers, and if they have any Kanger compatible coil heads in the shop (I'm going to be pissed if I have to make another drive to Jerseyville to exchange these.). I didn't want to "try one out", because I was afraid if it was the wrong coil, they wouldn't take it back because I had opened it.

Generally I get coil packs in groups of three, because either the coils start going out on all the tanks I'm vaping on at the same time (or I start vaping on older flavors that now need their coils changed after sitting in it for a couple months) (or sometimes, I end up getting a pack where it seems like every coil in that pack is bad, gives me a burned taste no matter what voltage or power setting, no matter how long they've had to sit and soak up juice - overnight, usually - and I have to replace them all), but if I'm vaping the same two or three juices every day (which out of all the juices I own, is ABOUT what I'm down to right now, at least until I get paid when I can order another bottle of another juice I haven't wanted to vape in MONTHS, but now I want desperately and just ran out of), but again, I get paid at um, a week from tomorrow, and we were there, so I figured one five pack would be good until I got paid, and that was only because I'm down to one bloody coil.

And wow, I didn't realize I'd been away for so long again this time. Somehow, between exhaustion and all the other stuff (physically been bad) I don't have as much time for forums, or even social media anymore.

So am I right in thinking these coils aren't going to work with Pro Tanks? I'm not even looking at coil replacement on my Evods yet, although that's coming on at least a few of them.

Unfortunately, the "gal behind the counter" is not always all-knowing :(

I've been reading on coil compatibility across brands, and while one or two have "claimed" to have gotten a few of the T3S coils to work in a SMOK tumbler (and other odd combinations)... the general agreement is that the SMOK ARO coils are not compatible with Kanger's single-coil tanks (PT2, EVOD, etc), and the Kanger BCC coils are not compatible with SMOK.

My suggestion is to rebuild the coils with a micro coil and wick with cotton. Many people believe this setup with a single coil will beat out the stock dual coil heads. I haven't done it myself...yet. I have a friend with MS and she rebuilds Kanger coils for 'fun' and others with arthritic hands rebuild coils. This gives me hope. I do build coils for my drippers so I am going to branch out into Kanger heads very soon.

I have the Aero Mega coming from a co-op with 30 coils at 1.8ohms. These only cost $1.25 for the initial purchase but I know I will never see that price again! So, rebuild I will (I hope). This is a good solution...head will always fit because it came out and you know it fits!

I have watched the youtube videos a few times. Time to get brave I suppose.

My suggestion is to rebuild the coils with a micro coil and wick with cotton. Many people believe this setup with a single coil will beat out the stock dual coil heads. I haven't done it myself...yet. I have a friend with MS and she rebuilds Kanger coils for 'fun' and others with arthritic hands rebuild coils. This gives me hope. I do build coils for my drippers so I am going to branch out into Kanger heads very soon.

I have the Aero Mega coming from a co-op with 30 coils at 1.8ohms. These only cost $1.25 for the initial purchase but I know I will never see that price again! So, rebuild I will (I hope). This is a good solution...head will always fit because it came out and you know it fits!

I have watched the youtube videos a few times. Time to get brave I suppose.

And when you rebuild you always check the build with an ohm meter (not an APV) before putting it in and trying it out. :)

Rixter put up a picture tutorial that's very easy to follow on how to rebuild your KPT coils.

Edited by Tameiki

Okay, after NUMEROUS discussions with the vape shop, who assured me they've been selling them that way for some time, and tried it out themselves with nary a problem, and not one complaint and no one saying, "it doesn't work with this tank," I tried it on ONE of my tanks that needed new coils. It worked. Go figure. Juice tastes slightly different, too. Not sure if it's because this last coil made it taste burned all the way from the time I put it in (therefore I didn't vape it much for the two weeks) or if because the previous coil, no matter what, just didn't have any oomph to it, but it's working. Been a full 24 hours.