Optimal Battery Maintenance

This is something I have been wondering about almost a year and never think of it to post and ask. I wonder if others wonder the same thing. With batteries, both 18650s and Ego style (Spinners, Evods, Std non VV Egos), is it bad for them to sit very long with a full charge?

The reason I ask is I have now amassed quite the collection of both. I have 6 18650s and as little as I use my Vamo anymore opting to use my Spinners and Evod VVs more I am using about 1 18650 per week. With my Ego batteries I have about a dozen and it seems like my 1300mah Spinners get used very rarely. There is one in my desk at work that hasn't been used in a couple months sitting with a full charge.

I seem to remember reading it was bad to do this so I have started a cycle of using all my batteries to put them at least through one charge-discharge cycle before recharging any of them.

Any info on this will be appreciated as always.

Actually I read somewhere (and this was months ago on a site re lith ion batts) that storing them with a charge is more optimal than not. And as I recall they actually hold their charge pretty well with only a tiny bit of fade. I'll see if I can find this again and I'll post it up.

Actually I read somewhere (and this was months ago on a site re lith ion batts) that storing them with a charge is more optimal than not. And as I recall they actually hold their charge pretty well with only a tiny bit of fade. I'll see if I can find this again and I'll post it up.

Thanks Bebop. I was getting concerned because I haven't used some of my 1300mah Spinners in a few months and they have been stored with a full charge. It seemed like I remembered reading around 3.6v was the "storage voltage" recommended but that may have been 18650s

Storage Basics

Lithium ion batteries are sensitive to extremes of temperature, especially heat. When you are not using the battery it should be stored in a cool place. The storage area should also be dry and not in a bathroom or other area that tends to be damp. If you don't have a suitable location, lithium ion batteries can be placed in a sealed container and kept in a refrigerator (not a freezer). Avoid storing the batteries in areas that will be heated by sunlight or other heat sources. Finally, never place a lithium ion battery on a metal or other conductive surface. This will greatly increase the rate of self-discharge, draining the battery.

Long-Term Storage

If a lithium ion battery won't be used for a prolonged period (weeks or longer) it should be properly prepared for storage. Charge the battery to only 40 percent capacity. This keeps long-term capacity reduction to a minimum with limited self-discharge. You should recharge the battery to 40 percent every two or three months

Thanks for that! Maybe the best thing for me would be to just use them all in rotation instead of letting them sit so long. I store them all in a large glass in my "Vape Gear" area so no metal. Its not a huge deal I just want to maximize their life.

Not really sure how to tell if an Ego style battery is charged to 40% though.

"Self-discharge is a phenomenon in batteries in which internal chemical reactions reduce the stored charge of the battery without any connection between the electrodes. Self-discharge decreases the shelf-life of batteries and causes them to initially have less than a full charge when actually put to use.How fast self-discharge in a battery occurs is dependent on the type of battery, state of charge, charging current, ambient temperature and other factors. Typically, among rechargeable batteries,lithium-ion batteries suffer the least amount of self-discharge (around 23% discharge per month), while nickel-based batteries are more seriously affected by the phenomenon (nickel cadmium, 1520% per month; nickel metal hydride, 30% per month), with the exception of Low self-discharge NiMH batteries (2-3% per month).Primary batteries, which cannot be recharged between manufacturing and use, have much lower self-discharge rates.[citation needed] Self-discharge is a chemical reaction, just as closed-circuit discharge is, and tends to occur more quickly at higher temperatures. Storing batteries at lower temperatures thus reduces the rate of self-discharge and preserves the initial energy stored in the battery. Self-discharge is also thought to be reduced over time as a passivation layer develops on the electrodes."

I think your fine if you're talking months. The 40% figure is just to keep the battery above a minimum voltage. Once a lith ion batttery goes below a certain voltage it cannot be recharged. Our batteries have a circuit that shuts the battery down when it reaches a threshold. This prevents it from "over discharging".

And as joe joe has pointed out. Heat is the number one enemy of a lith ion.

I'm very glad this topic is being discussed. This has been something that has been on my mind as well. I have 4 18650's but keep all in rotation. I use my Sony's in my mech and my AW's in my VTR. I figure that each one gets recharged at least once a week and I wasn't sure if that was good or bad. Another thing I wondered is how many cycles each battery had and how long before I had to worry about replacing them.

Somewhere on the order of 250 - 300 full cycles.

So you should get anywhere from a little less than a year to as much as 2 depending on how you vape and you dont mistreat or let batteries heat up in a car or something

I have 8 Vision 1300 Spinners that I rotate. I use 2 of them for a week alternating them, while one is charging I am using the other. At the end of the week I charge them fully then put them at the back of the line. It is a mystery to me that when it comes time to pull out the next 2 batteries in line for the upcoming week I will check them to make sure they are still fully charged and sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. Sometimes I have to charge one for several hours before it is fully charged again. I keep them in a cool place in the top of my closet so I don't understand why some do hold the charge and some do not. I bought all Vision Spinners and I have only had one that went completely dead in just a few months and that was using them as described above. I started rotating mine because it was advice from Jeff. He said it was not good to let batteries sit up unused for long periods of time.

I'm an 18650 user mainly and I'm glad the rules of storage hasn't changed much over the years when ive been away and not paying attention.

To add to the suggestion part, I keep mine in an order so they stay rotated evenly and used equally.

I use a front too back order and use the first closest and the newest charged one goes to the back of the line.