Explain why low 33mhz chipsets arent the best, and suggest upgrades.

I wish I had a local shop with a Provari for customers to try so I could see if I notice a difference over low 33mhz mods. I own a 1st gen Vamo, SVD and VTR and I understand the VTR is 48mhz and I can't see any difference.

I'm currently using Aerotanks and Nautilus tanks also.

Is it the rattlesnake sound that changes with the higher frequency chips and the coil is fired more and becomes almost a solid sound i would expect to hear when using a mech? I have an electronics background so I'm hoping I have a close grasp on this.

Besides the Sigelei 20 Watt, what other mods in the $100-$150 should I look at?

No friends irl, none on the net :(

Jokes aside, I could use some suggestions for mods in the $100/$150 price range without the 33mhz chipset.

The MVP not having replaceable cells rules it out.

Plus I'd like to hear how much of a noticeable difference can be seen when comparing the better chips and the 33mhz ones?

Quick google got this.. Was faster or me to search for an answer then type the answer! :)

Hmm, unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, the Pro-Vari and Darwin both use a buck/boost converter for a purely DC output. It's the Chinese designed ones that use PWM.

In any case, it would depend on the frequency, but even at say 33 Hz, that's only 1/33 of a second between pulses. Certainly not enough for the wire to heat up and cool down any amount that could effect how the atomizer vapes in a significant way. There's a rate involved with how fast the wire heats and cools. Like Darth said, nothing happens instantaneously there. Now if the frequency was low enough, the wire could heat and cool between pulses, but that's not the case.

Typically, the Chinese PWM devices use a 6V peak voltage. With a 33Hz PWM fequency and a 50% duty cycle (4.2V RMS), the atomizer is on for 1/66 of a second and off for 1/66 of a second. The atomizer is off for even less time with the higher duty cycle required for a higher voltage setting. If you set the device on 6V, it's running with 100% duty cycle which is a purely DC output.

If someone is finding a big difference between a purely DC device and a PWM device, it's likely due to calibration error more than the difference in how power is delivered to the atomizer. These PWM mods use a simple formula in software to determine the equivalent DC reading (RMS voltage or power). The formula does not account for observed power, only applied power. Even with the most precise software calibration, there's some unaccounted factors related to AC electrical characteristics that can make a slight difference between what the scale indicates and what the user perceives.

If people are stating a particular atomizer just does not work well with a PWM device, I find it hard to believe the difference can be solely blamed on PWM versus pure DC. There's just nothing in theory that states there should be a huge difference there. However, not everything about an atomizer can be accounted for on paper. There's lots of subjectivity there. Personally, I prefer a purely DC output over a PWM output. With a DC output, you know you're getting what you set it for.

I own a Provari, 2 Semovars, an eVic, Vamo, Sigelei Zmax and other stuff. To be honest I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep if I learned all I could use were the Vamo or Zmax for the rest of my life. The Semovars and Provari to me perform marginally better but not night and day better. For me their main advantages are not strict vape performance. I'm very pleased strictly with the performance of all of the above.

As with other products there's a lot of hype and people merely wanting to believe their device performs head and shoulders better than the rest. I have no doubt they have convinced themselves that they are right. By nature people always want to convince themselves they've made the better choice and seek justification. Reinforcement via other enthusiasts via internet forums seeking reinforcement themselves just build on it.

For me the belief that 33 mhz device vape performance is drastically inferior is flawed. Its power output may not be as pretty on an oscilloscope but I personally don't watch an oscilloscope while vaping.

I do often think about the old story of the emperor's new clothes...

Edited by irwink

For me It's a smoother vape. I can tell the difference between my Sigelei's and my provari/Dna mod easily in the quality of the vape. At least to me it seems that way. Reliability and quality are in there somewhere as well. I've probably dropped my Provari 10 times off my lap onto the concrete getting out of my truck. Still working like a champ. Dropped my vamo once, the head popped off, now it sits here decapitated.

Thanks for the input, i do feel more at ease knowing the chipset differences could be negligible with what I'm needing.

With more research I've found the DNA, sx200 and Nivel chipsets are NOT what I need from a mod functionality wise.

The Provari fits me better, needs and quality wise. My current mods will hold me over so I can save up the money now.