iTaste MVP power button fell off, need help fixing.

Hi all, Darth Vaper here. I've been fortunate to not have to call on my fellow vapors for repair advice for the last four years, but I need you now!

The power button on my iTaste MVP fell off a couple weeks ago. I've had the device for about a year, I guess. I used a tiny amount of crazy glue to reattach its tab to where it looks like it mounts. Today it fell off again. Underneath the plastic power button is a tiny metal . . . flange I guess you'd call it, and that sits on the metal power button inside the device which powers it on and off. (Please see picture below) I re-glued it last night (because it was late) and the device wouldn't fire unless I really pressed the power button in hard. So I pulled it apart and then tried for two hours with a pair of tweezers, a bright light and, yes, more crazy glue, to put it back together but I can't get it to work. The device itself is still functioning, it's just the stupid plastic power button that's broken off and can't be reattached (at least not by my best efforts).

I'd like to keep the device because, for the most part, I like it (although I probably wouldn't buy it again) and I don't want to buy another device right now. It is also the only VV device I own!

What I'm hoping is that one of you can think of a creative way to just keep this thing going. Maybe a pencil eraser in place of the button? Or some other hack that I've not thought of? The only thing I'm not crazy about is using metal on metal because the actual power button is, of course, attached to the circuit board that runs the device and I don't want any self-administered electroshock therapy.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

post-789-0-10477000-1375413237_thumb.jpgpost-789-0-67466000-1375413293_thumb.jpgpost-789-0-47151000-1375413314_thumb.jpg

Hi all, Darth Vaper here. I've been fortunate to not have to call on my fellow vapors for repair advice for the last four years, but I need you now!

The power button on my iTaste MVP fell off a couple weeks ago. I've had the device for about a year, I guess. I used a tiny amount of crazy glue to reattach its tab to where it looks like it mounts. Today it fell off again. Underneath the plastic power button is a tiny metal . . . flange I guess you'd call it, and that sits on the metal power button inside the device which powers it on and off. (Please see picture below) I re-glued it last night (because it was late) and the device wouldn't fire unless I really pressed the power button in hard. So I pulled it apart and then tried for two hours with a pair of tweezers, a bright light and, yes, more crazy glue, to put it back together but I can't get it to work. The device itself is still functioning, it's just the stupid plastic power button that's broken off and can't be reattached (at least not by my best efforts).

I'd like to keep the device because, for the most part, I like it (although I probably wouldn't buy it again) and I don't want to buy another device right now. It is also the only VV device I own!

What I'm hoping is that one of you can think of a creative way to just keep this thing going. Maybe a pencil eraser in place of the button? Or some other hack that I've not thought of? The only thing I'm not crazy about is using metal on metal because the actual power button is, of course, attached to the circuit board that runs the device and I don't want any self-administered electroshock therapy.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

attachicon.gifeverything together.JPGattachicon.gifempty button space.JPGattachicon.gifpieces.JPG

I bt my sharpener could fix them he fixes all of my banged up abused clippers and I have broken rocker switches on my clippers that have some kind of springy thing behind them ,

also he has wired and soldered past a variable voltage option on a pair of clippers I have ( when 300.00 clippers break , you repair them you dont replace them lol )I can give you his name if you want it . hes in alabama though . but its worth it .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks WillBlack for the info. I agree with you. As you might be able to see from my pics, the button on the outside is attached to a rectangular piece of plastic, which in turn is connected to a metal flange-type thing, which is up against the fire switch on the circuit board. That fire switch on the MVP is made out of metal.

What exactly is a "tact switch?"

It's also kind of a coincidence that after I realized I couldn't readily fix the MVP, I ordered a Vamo (V3). The user buttons are metal, for better or worse. Should be arriving this week.

There are many types of various forms. They are low current switches and usually have tactile feedback (a click). The Vamo PCB has three.

Common uses would be on many types of electronic equipment, VCRs, DVD players, coffee makers etc.

Be tough to actually glue something on as many folks press the button upwards of 300 times/day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tact+switch&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PYAJUovdJsuiqQGy54HYDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=724

• 1 year later...

Hi, If it's anything like the MVP2, that Silver bit folds over the plastic button base.

(Can't tell from your blurry pics - pull back a bit to focuss if you don't have Macro foccusing)

It's easy enough to take the top off the MVP2 and gently crimp it back in place - assuming you haven't lost the metal disc that sits below it? (like I did). You might even be able to crimp it without taking the top off. Post some better pics matey.

Anyways here's a pic of the MVP2 button fix that may help - the metal disc was exactly the right size from a cheap tactile button i bought.

MVP-2-switch-fix.jpg

Edited by Duffloop