Vaper's Tongue: Foiled by Cinnamon

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 caHarkness

caHarkness

• Vapor Talk Noobie
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Today, I decided to try an entirely new flavor- Monster Energy. It is modeled after the flavor you taste when you indulge in a savory mouthful of Monster Energy. Prior to making the switch, I had been vaping my local store's flavor: Hot Shots. It's a very potent cinnamon flavor with a well disguised trace of cherry. After taking a couple of hits of this Monster Energy vape oil, I was doomed to realize it had no taste at all.

Does anyone have any experience in switching flavors from cinnamon to something... not so distinguishable? I would love to hear stories and/or feedback from other fellow vapers that may have had this problem. I was convinced that switching flavors cures the problem, not induces it.

#2 mcquinn

mcquinn

Vapor Talk God Poster

• VIP Member
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:HVAC/R tech.,guitar,music in general,

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Usually if I vape the same flavor too long I can't taste it and switching seems to help.But I can see where cinnamin might be overpowering.

#3 caHarkness

caHarkness

• Vapor Talk Noobie
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Usually if I vape the same flavor too long I can't taste it and switching seems to help.But I can see where cinnamin might be overpowering.

The guys down at the shop said it might take a day or two for the flavor to "kick in" and I had jokingly said that the cinnamon burnt my tastebuds away. Is the flavor supposed to immediately work- or were they just improvising on a solution to the vaper's tongue? Lol.

#4 Synther

Synther

Contributing Member

• VT Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

The guys down at the shop said it might take a day or two for the flavor to "kick in" and I had jokingly said that the cinnamon burnt my tastebuds away. Is the flavor supposed to immediately work- or were they just improvising on a solution to the vaper's tongue? Lol.

You might try uncapping the bottle and leaving it in a cool dark place for a day or two.  That's supposed to help, though I've never really noticed much of a difference.  It could just be a bad batch that you got, too.  There are a couple of different energy drink flavors out there, some better than others.  I'd have jumped on a flavor called "Monster Energy" too, since I'm a Monster drinker...like a fiend!  My record is 13 Monsters in under 8 hours at a computer gaming LAN.  So yeah...I'd be all over it but disappointed if it didn't have a good strong flavor to it.  Another thing you might try is to get it in a slightly lower nicotine strength.  If you are getting it at high nicotine (24mg - 26mg) the flavor will be a bit less intense than at a medium strength (16mg - 18mg) and even stronger at lower strengths, assuming you find a lower strength enough to curb your appetite.

#5 kitsune

kitsune

Vapor Talk FanGirl

• VIP Member
  • 3,689 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs, Vaping, cooking, Tequila

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Unless you are like me....I am flavor challenged.  I have always had a very hard time with flavors being too weak.  Mind you, I can taste food etc without any problem. 

I got into the world of mixing my own because I like strong flavors and they can be hard to come by out in the vaping world.  cinnamon is a nice strong one.  

But I haven't noticed a big problem switching flavors after cinnamon...so long as its one of my mixes. 

#6 Uma

Uma

Off- grid Solar baby

• VIP Member
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Salt is a palette cleanser.. eating saltine cracker, drinking milk... like the wine tasters do, sometimes helps to restore the tastebuds.  

Rinsing your mouth with a few tsps of salt in your water might help too.  But yuck.  Try the saltine with milk.  Good luck! 

#7 Lyrical

Lyrical

Contributing Member

• VT Member
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Vaping - of course, 5K walks/runs, gardening, WoW.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Salt is a palette cleanser.. eating saltine cracker, drinking milk... like the wine tasters do, sometimes helps to restore the tastebuds.  

Rinsing your mouth with a few tsps of salt in your water might help too.  But yuck.  Try the saltine with milk.  Good luck! 

I didn't know this!  Will it work without the milk? 

#8 Uma

Uma

Off- grid Solar baby

• VIP Member
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Yes, it will work, just not as thoroughly.  Try it, and lest us know the outcome.  :)

#9 Synther

Synther

Contributing Member

• VT Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

Pickled Ginger is a great palette cleanser too.  This is why you find a small dish of it at all the Sushi restaurants.  It is meant to eat a piece of pickled ginger between different sushi rolls.

#10 Rixter

Rixter

Mutant Ninja Vaper & Closet Hip Hop Aficionado

• VIP Member
  • 1,175 posts
  • Interests:Vaping (everything else is work or sleep).

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Pickled Ginger is a great palette cleanser too.  This is why you find a small dish of it at all the Sushi restaurants.  It is meant to eat a piece of pickled ginger between different sushi rolls.

I guess I've been doing it wrong...I just eat different sushi rolls between different sushi rolls lol.

On a side note, eating a bog ol' wad of wasabi is a great palette cleanser as well as a great prevention for dehydration...try it and watch how much water the human body can hold immediately after eating some. :yes

Edited by Rixter, 20 July 2013 - 01:24 PM.