Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo

help with using twisted kanthal as a coil

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jsr27

jsr27

VT Member

• VT Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

hey guys i was wondering if i can use twisted kanthal wire to replace my regular coils? im going to be using a vamo vv/vw mod with vivi nova tanks. will the twisted make the ohms at higher resistance? i need to know what gauge wire would be best. your opinions a very much appreciated! :unworthy:

#2 Uma

Uma

Off- grid Solar baby

• VIP Member
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Twisted wires are great, they add flavor due to the excess amount of coil for the juice to cling to.  Just make sure you twist it in consistent tension and you should be fine. 

I use 32gauge, but others have used the thicker (lower) gauges with success.  (30, 28, )

If you're not sure how many wraps you'll need for your preferred resistance, just wrap an extra coil or two then you normally do.  The coils are easier to remove, impossible to add unless you recoil. 

The easiest way to achieve consistent tension is by using the drill on low speed..  If you don't have a chuck, you can use a coat hanger. 

#3 jsr27

jsr27

VT Member

• VT Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

ive never had to replace the coil but i do know how and know how to twist it i just dont know how many times i should wrap the wick to get about 3 ohm resistance. anyone know?

#4 Rixter

Rixter

Mutant Ninja Vaper & Closet Hip Hop Aficionado

• VIP Member
  • 1,223 posts
  • Interests:Vaping (everything else is work or sleep).

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

It's gonna take a lot of wraps to get to 3Ω using twisted 32g Kanthal, as a 4/3 coil on my RBA is only ±1.1Ω, and a 5/4 coil is only ±1.3Ω. I metered a 1" piece of twisted 32g Kanthal to have roughly 1Ω of resistance, so it's gonna take close to 3" to achieve 3Ω...that's a lot of coils to fit into such a tiny housing. You're gonna need a wire that provides slightly more resistance than 3Ω in a 2" section...that should be plenty to re-coil a Nova atty. A 34g Kanthal A-1 would probably be just about right.

Click here for a chart of resistance wire gauges and resistance levels per inch.

#5 jsr27

jsr27

VT Member

• VT Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

what does 4/3 coil mean and 5/4 coil? you know any links i can study up on all this ohms and resistance and what to use for vv/vw device. i know a tiny bit but have a ton to learn. im very interested in the vaping experience but dont know what sites and info to study from. thank a lot folks.  

#6 Uma

Uma

Off- grid Solar baby

• VIP Member
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

I agree, Rixter.  Trying for a 3.0 ohm coil with 28 gauge will be difficult... and even more difficult with a twisted 28.  (28 is lower resistance than 32). 

A 9/10 wrap of twisted 28 will probably give you about a 1.5ohm. 

Numbers and I don't get along, so I will go back to being very silent and pretending that I didn't hear the question.  :)

#7 Rixter

Rixter

• VIP Member
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

what does 4/3 coil mean and 5/4 coil? you know any links i can study up on all this ohms and resistance and what to use for vv/vw device. i know a tiny bit but have a ton to learn. im very interested in the vaping experience but dont know what sites and info to study from. thank a lot folks.  

A 4/3 coil is one where there are 4 wraps on the outside of the coil and 3 on the inside.

You can find some pretty good coil-making info here:

"For Mechanical Mods, a 4/3 or even 3/2 wrap is usually nice.  The less wraps we have, the LOWER the resistance. For Electronic Mods, a 6/5 wrap or even more, like 8/7, would be better.  The more wraps we have, the HIGHER the resistance. Electronic VV Mods don't like LR atties..." - Uma

@Uma- I hope you don't mind me quoting you.

Edited by Rixter, 31 March 2013 - 03:46 PM.

• Uma likes this

#8 Uma

Uma

Off- grid Solar baby

• VIP Member
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

haha, no, I don't mind at all.  And it's perfectly great info, if I don't say so myself.  :)  BUT, that's as much mathematics as my mind can hold.  Unfortunately, I really can't decipher the lower resistance wire (28g) + Twisted, plus wraps to equal 3.0 ohms.  A WHOLE lot of wraps is all I can come up with... probably about 15? 

Rixter, can you decipher? 

#9 Rixter

Rixter

• VIP Member
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

All I know is that on my meter, 1" of untwisted 32g Kanthal A-1 has ±1.4Ω of resistance, and 1" of twisted Kanthal A-1 has ±1.1Ω of resistance, so apparently, twisting the two wires together doesn't half the resistance. By those measurements, it takes about 1" of wire to make a 4/3 coil on my RBA that meters ±1.1Ω.

BTW, I've always heard that Kanthal is primarily to be used with SS wicks, and Nichrome is to be used with silica wicks...not exactly sure why, though.

• Uma likes this

#10 Uma

Uma

Off- grid Solar baby

• VIP Member
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

I wonder why the different wicks call for different types of wire?  I thought it was just some kind of personal preference thing.  I'll have to dive deeper into that I suppose. 

So, JsR, try wrapping your wick with single wire to achieve your 3.0 ohm.  (guesstimating here, but I'd say about 10 wraps with the 28). 

Now that you have a base to go by, twist a long strand that is longer than your single strand was by 1/4 to 1/2.  Good luck getting that many strands on there though! 

It would be so much easier to achieve this with 32gauge wire, because it starts out higher resistance to begin with. 

The higher the resistance, the slower the action, but for some reason the flavor is usually better (depends on the variances of everything of course).  I have one genny set up at 0.8 for instant gratification, another at 1.2 and yet another at 2.5.  Sometimes I like a long slow relaxing draw, sometimes I want a quick puff.  The flavor, if using the same flavor, will be different in each, minor, but different.  I usually use different flavors in each though. 

Let me ask one of my mentors your question, and I'll get back to you if/when I hear anything.