Vaping After Having A Tooth Pulled

NorthernGirl

So my question is pretty simple... anyone try vaping after having a tooth pulled? Just had a back molar pulled and they gave me the usual "don't smoke" lecture. Just wondering if anyone has and if they had problems with it. Right now I'm half numb, half in pain, and dying for a vape :(

It was the last molar on the top. Every time I swallow there is a "sucking" feeling between my tooth and that side of my nose. Part of the root is still there. After an hour and a half he just couldn't get it out because he was afraid he was going to push it into my sinus. Ugh, this sucks!

I vaped immediately after an extraction. I was still in the dentist chair, lol. The flavor takes a hit, in fact I couldn't taste of feel anything for several hours. As long as your not creating a lot of negative presure(the sucking thing) you should be fine in my opinion. Smoking on the other hand is highly discouraged.

I've been very careful how I'm vaping since last night, although I have to admit I haven't been wanting to as often. No joke, it took an hour and a half for him to get the tooth out, so not only is the actual site sore, but my cheek has a pretty nasty bruise and it's really swollen. I have so much pain in my cheek that I don't even think I'd be able to tell if I did have dry socket. He did give me some dry socket packing, just in case, since he will be at his home in the Bahamas for the holiday. Must be nice lol.

Thanks for the advice, letting me vent and whine, you know. I'll say it again... this sucks!

A friend of mine just made a very good point... I chose extraction over a root canal or an implant. He may be in the Bahamas, but my actions may have forced him to fly coach. Ahh, it's the little things lol

You are so cruel to your dentist! lol. Here's to hoping you never have to feel what it's like to have a dry socket.

Mine went into overdrive trying to get his patients to "use up their yearly allowance" on their insurance to "get all the little things done" before the end of the year. Needless to say, we declined to take advantage of his offer. Thankfully, our teeth are about as fixed as they need to be. *knocks on wood* :D

• 4 weeks later...

Since I posed the question, I figured I'd update with how I made out:

I got freakin' dry socket. Just days before Christmas. Yay me.

But, whether it was from vaping or the horrific cold I got in the days immediately following the extraction, I'll never know. Along with not smoking I was also told to avoid sneezing. Ya, that worked out swimmingly lmao.

But, it's all good now and finally starting to heal! Woohoo!

• 1 month later...

Since I posed the question, I figured I'd update with how I made out:

I got freakin' dry socket. Just days before Christmas. Yay me.

But, whether it was from vaping or the horrific cold I got in the days immediately following the extraction, I'll never know. Along with not smoking I was also told to avoid sneezing. Ya, that worked out swimmingly lmao.

But, it's all good now and finally starting to heal! Woohoo!

Thanks for posting your original question! I'm getting several back teeth pulled due to health concerns. I didn't even consider that I couldn't vape during that healing time. It's great to consider, so thank you!

:ninja:

I vaped a few hours after getting two wisdoms removed on Friday. Everything healed the way it was supposed to. Jeff's right, it's only a concern due to the possible dislodging of the blood clots that you want to form directly after an extraction. I bled the entire first day following, but by the next day there was no blood so i just kept on vaping :)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just vape thru your nose that's how I've  been doing it as soon as my dentist pulled my upper left molar due to a silver filling falling out and causing me so much pain from pressure of eating and certain sweet foods soon as he pulled it plummet his room lol more than one way to skin a deer.

• 6 months later...

I have had  many teeth pulled in the past and I never once got a dry socket and I never followed dentist orders.my trick when it came to smoking or vamping after an extraction was to put some gauze up in there and vape/smoke and to do so on the opposite side from which you had pulled, and ever so gently I might add

• 2 months later...

I too have similar situation and Edna told me after vaping if I wind up with dry socket then I can put oil of clove in the socket. It stops the pain really fast. But I haven't tried this as my teeth are not extracted yet.     

• 6 months later...

I got a tooth pulled less the 3 days ago.I didn't vape until yesterday.  I have been not pulling on it just letting it hit and me inhaling with putting my lips around it barely so doesn't make a vacuum. I have not had an issue yet knock on wood.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, obdrox said:

After having mine out a few months ago I was vaping an hour later once the numbness started, they say no smoking for 24 hours but vaping is not smoking. All you are inhaling is fog like aerosol which is water based so it has no chance of thinning the blood like smoking does.

Its more the sucking affect compared to what you are inhaling

3 hours ago, obdrox said:

After having mine out a few months ago I was vaping an hour later once the numbness started, they say no smoking for 24 hours but vaping is not smoking. All you are inhaling is fog like aerosol which is water based so it has no chance of thinning the blood like smoking does.

Like @cany said, it's not sucking that's the point of the "no smoking" suggestion. When you suck anything after having a tooth pulled you run the risk of getting a "dry socket" (pulling the blood clot out of the hole where the tooth used to be), and that is some of the worst pain you'll ever feel.