Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vaping After Having A Tooth Pulled

16 posts in this topic

Posted

So my question is pretty simple... anyone try vaping after having a tooth pulled? Just had a back molar pulled and they gave me the usual "don't smoke" lecture. Just wondering if anyone has and if they had problems with it. Right now I'm half numb, half in pain, and dying for a vape :(

Posted

I think the sucking action is what concerns the dentists, it can dislodge the clots. I would follow their advice.

blucavvy likes this

Posted

ya, its the same reason your not supposed to use straws after having a tooth pulled. Like Jeff said, can loosen the clot and cause some bleeding.

Posted

It was the last molar on the top. Every time I swallow there is a "sucking" feeling between my tooth and that side of my nose. Part of the root is still there. After an hour and a half he just couldn't get it out because he was afraid he was going to push it into my sinus. Ugh, this sucks!

Posted

I vaped immediately after an extraction. I was still in the dentist chair, lol. The flavor takes a hit, in fact I couldn't taste of feel anything for several hours. As long as your not creating a lot of negative presure(the sucking thing) you should be fine in my opinion. Smoking on the other hand is highly discouraged.

Posted

I've been very careful how I'm vaping since last night, although I have to admit I haven't been wanting to as often. No joke, it took an hour and a half for him to get the tooth out, so not only is the actual site sore, but my cheek has a pretty nasty bruise and it's really swollen. I have so much pain in my cheek that I don't even think I'd be able to tell if I did have dry socket. He did give me some dry socket packing, just in case, since he will be at his home in the Bahamas for the holiday. Must be nice lol.

Thanks for the advice, letting me vent and whine, you know. I'll say it again... this sucks!

Posted

A friend of mine just made a very good point... I chose extraction over a root canal or an implant. He may be in the Bahamas, but my actions may have forced him to fly coach. Ahh, it's the little things lol

Tam likes this

Posted

A friend of mine just made a very good point... I chose extraction over a root canal or an implant. He may be in the Bahamas, but my actions may have forced him to fly coach. Ahh, it's the little things lol

You are so cruel to your dentist! lol. Here's to hoping you never have to feel what it's like to have a dry socket.

Mine went into overdrive trying to get his patients to "use up their yearly allowance" on their insurance to "get all the little things done" before the end of the year. Needless to say, we declined to take advantage of his offer. Thankfully, our teeth are about as fixed as they need to be. *knocks on wood* :D

Posted

*knocks on wood Porcelain* :D

Posted

Unless, of course, I crack another porcelain crown on ranch flavored corn nuts. :lol:

Posted

Since I posed the question, I figured I'd update with how I made out:

I got freakin' dry socket. Just days before Christmas. Yay me.

But, whether it was from vaping or the horrific cold I got in the days immediately following the extraction, I'll never know. Along with not smoking I was also told to avoid sneezing. Ya, that worked out swimmingly lmao.

But, it's all good now and finally starting to heal! Woohoo!

Posted

Since I posed the question, I figured I'd update with how I made out:

I got freakin' dry socket. Just days before Christmas. Yay me.

But, whether it was from vaping or the horrific cold I got in the days immediately following the extraction, I'll never know. Along with not smoking I was also told to avoid sneezing. Ya, that worked out swimmingly lmao.

But, it's all good now and finally starting to heal! Woohoo!

Thanks for posting your original question! I'm getting several back teeth pulled due to health concerns. I didn't even consider that I couldn't vape during that healing time. It's great to consider, so thank you!

:ninja:

Posted

I vaped a few hours after getting two wisdoms removed on Friday. Everything healed the way it was supposed to. Jeff's right, it's only a concern due to the possible dislodging of the blood clots that you want to form directly after an extraction. I bled the entire first day following, but by the next day there was no blood so i just kept on vaping :)

Posted

I just got two of my bottom back teeth pulled last night. The bleeding stopped early this morning. I tried vaping this afternoon, with not a good feeling. Guess it depends on your own personal situation.

Posted

I think the sucking action is what concerns the dentists, it can dislodge the clots. I would follow their advice.

I agreed take rest.

Posted

Well, i'm getting my wisdom tooth extracted next week. i'll ask the dentist/try it out and then let you know.