How To Build A Easy & Inexpensive 3.7 V Wood Mod (Image Heavy)

Sonar505

Even though I am brand new here I wanted to get started on the right foot. So I made this hopefully easy to follow Tutorial to help out anyone who likes the look of wood mods but like me can't afford them right now. This was made in an apartment with hand tools, so you don't need a fancy workshop or special tools to make it. So If you think of a easier way to do something or want to substitute a part you already have that will work for You go right ahead. Also I tried to make this as comprehensive as possible , but if you have any questions or comments please feel free to Post.

P.S. I will also be posting a followup Tutorial for a VV Dual 18650 wood mod next which will be referenced back to this tutorial for the basic box build and to highlight the differences. So please be sure to check out that one also.

This one is a simple one battery mod but it works great and I find myself alternately using it all day and very light weight so easy to carry around when out and about.

Here is what is getting built

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Here is the part list of what is needed to build it you may already have these items if not I will tell you where I obtained them. If you are anything like me once you build your first mod you want to keep on modding everything. So I recommend that you get a few of these parts so that when mod fever comes over you. Everything you need is right there. Once again feel free to substitute for any parts that you

may already have available.

Madvapes -

510 sealed battery connector - $1.49 Either silver or brass. They can be a pain to solder so Madvapes offers prewired ones for $2.99 its up to you.

Horn Switch - $.89 they come in many colors and have been very sturdy for me with a nice clicky feel when pushed

$2.99 New chrome switch picked up a couple so far like the way they look but no clicky when pushed

LED - $.49 to $1.59 Come in 3mm or 5mm with many colors to choose from pick the one you like (they come with resistor needed added to package so no need to buy separately)

If you don't already have batteries and a charger you might want to pick some up. The way this mod is built you can use 16340 or 18350 or any battery that will fit a 19mm x 38mm (Spring fully depressed) holder. You can pick IMR or protected your choice I recommend at least 2 (1 charging while other being used)

If you have never been to this site look around some they have a lot of great stuff especially for DIY

Vapoligy - They have a 5% off code Outcast Vaping. Plus they offer a lifetime 10% off for current and former military (any Military or Veteran get 10% off FOREVER! All they have to do is create an account then email me a scan or anything that proves military service of any kind in any branch to jim@vapoligy.com and I will code them to a special “Military personal” account wich gives the military discount on all prices, then on top of that they can still use a coupon code for even better savings.

http://www.vapoligy.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=27

Battery spring plates .99 a pair I found these and like how sturdy & easy to work with these are. But you can use any type of connectors or holders you want. Just adjust the sizes accordingly.

Another site worth looking around for other stuff he even carries kanthal, nichrome, and wick for when you get a Rebuildable atomizer.

(3) 6 inch red wires and (3) 6 inch black wires - solid or stranded 20 to 22 gauge

Small rare earth magnets - A few months ago I went on amazon and bought (50) 1/8 x 1/16 magnets but can't remember where I bought them at but I believe radio shack carries 1/4" ones which should work you need at least 4

Home depot

Hobby board red oak $1.49 for a 1 1/2" x 1/4" x 2 foot I love the grain on these. They also come in other widths and lengths if you decide to make more mods.

6.jpg

7.jpg

3/4" wood screen $2.29 for 8 foot length. If you already have a piece of wood 3/4" wide use that. If not get this and cut it in half in the store for easier carrying.

Tools needed

Hopefully you have most of these already which will save you money. If not most can be picked up at Home depot

8.jpg

Drill and various bits

Soldering Iron

Solder and flux or solder embedded with flux

Hand Saw

Mitre Box

Some type of Clamp I picked up mine at Big Lots Years ago and can't remember how much. Home Depot sells them for aroung $10 bucks. or you can use tape or string or whatever clamp parts together until glue dries

Some type of Wood Glue make sure its stain-able (Liquid Nails from Home depot has been working for me)

Super Glue

Hot glue gun

Wire strippers

Various grits of sandpaper

Sanding block

Small can of Wood Stain Pick the color you like best at Home depot near the paint section. I use MinWax brand with success

Small can of fast drying polyurethane same as above

(Both can be found at walmart also.)

Alright now that is out of the way lets get to it shall we.

First off using mitre box cut red oak hobby board you need

(4) 2 1/2" pieces look at them find some interesting patterns and mark those for your front and back other 2 left and right

(2) 2" pieces again mark them top and bottom

(1) 1 3/4" piece marked as angle panel

from screen wood you need

(1) 2" piece

(1) 3/4" piece

Helpful Tips - Always use the same tool for all your measurements

Measure,mark and cut. Do not mark all your cuts at the beginning and then try and cut them 1 after another some pieces will be longer than the others.

Run sandpaper lightly over cut edges to remove excess before you measure.

always cut on same place of the mark whether you go left/right or directly on the mark.

If you have access to power tools like a table saw or sanders use them it will make this much easier.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.

Do me a favor if anyone makes one please post a picture for me I would love to see it. I would also appreciate any and all comments and or critiques.

Or if anyone feels I gave out any unsafe advice please let me know.

A great many thanks to Christopher and Jeffb for their permission and assistance in getting this posted.

Its a pretty great feeling when someone asks you where you bought your mod and you are able to tell them No I made it.

Edited by Sonar505

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks for posting a great DIY tutorial for new modders or people without a lot of expensive tools.

I had a question on the wood sizes you listed.

I went to Home Depot and was unable to find the wood sizes you listed, I did find the hobby wood. I was also unable to locate the screen board.

Can you tell me the length, width and height of wood I can use? I do not have power tools to rip wood so I would like to buy wood like you listed.

Also wood for the screen board?

Maybe a link to buy online? Wasnt sure if I had to use the exact wood sizes you listed?

I have all the parts and equipment you listed to start but cannot find wood to start. Any help you can give would be appreciated

Thanks

Thanks for posting a great DIY tutorial for new modders or people without a lot of expensive tools.

I had a question on the wood sizes you listed.

I went to Home Depot and was unable to find the wood sizes you listed, I did find the hobby wood. I was also unable to locate the screen board.

Any 3/4' wide piece of wood can be substituted for the screen board only used that one cause it was cheap.

Can you tell me the length, width and height of wood I can use? I do not have power tools to rip wood so I would like to buy wood like you listed.

Also wood for the screen board?

The wood size I used was a hobby board that was 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 24" this will make a complete mod with no ripping just cutting of pieces to size. I tried to make it so only minimum cuts were needed. Sorry I haven't bought online so no link. The sizes of the pieces of wood determines the size of the battery that can be used on mod This one uses 18350 or 16340. So no you do not have to use the exact wood size listed but can be adjusted for different size batteries please see my other tutorial for cut size using a dual 18650 battery.

Maybe a link to buy online? Wasnt sure if I had to use the exact wood sizes you listed?

I have all the parts and equipment you listed to start but cannot find wood to start. Any help you can give would be appreciated

Thanks

Sorry no response earlier didn't get on computer yesterday.

Hope this helps any other questions feel free.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thank you - Thank you. I know this has been up for a bit but I have been lazy and have used only plastic battery box mods in making mine. Time to move on. As soon as I learn how to use and mount a variable volt thingy {don't know how to spell it - snicker} I want to use one on a stacked battery mod. Then later a volt display board. Then I can look like the old man in my avatar.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Wow bro!!! I really really appreciate all your hard work, and advice!!!! You did a really great job at literally everything!!! I've got to admit bro it was the best tutorial I've seen , from how to do it step by step to a simple straight to the point parts list yet.