Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Polyester Filling And Njoy From 7-11? Pretty Worried!

12 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I noticed a bad taste/smell coming from my first NJOY cartomizer (i used ecigs in the past, just a week ago started up again). It was like burnt or smoke or something. So, I took it apart and saw the very inner most filling was a bit black/brown and I could smell the same thing I was tasting on it. I googled and found some info from way back in 2008 about polyester filling being used and possibly being burnt when a cart is dry and that would have meant i was breathing in toxic polyester fumes.

that same article was updated on 6/2012 to say that polyester is no longer used, so im sort of at a loss here. i send njoy an email to see what the deal is, but can anyone put my mind at ease here? id rather not get emphysema or cancer from an ecig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Still too new to know for sure what we are inhaling.I suspect way better than burning leaf chemical cocktail mix we were breathing.I wouldn't try to fool myself into thinking vaping is good for me.Just less harmfull.Best to get you some refillable carto's and an Ego battery and a shoebox full of tasty liquid to keep them carto's wet with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Thanks for the reply.

So, I think i determined it was liquid that was burnt/crudded around the wick/atomizer part of the cartomizer I had. At least, after a full day of googling and asking questions, that's what I think.

Anyhow, if anyone has more info that would be cool. I guess i really just dont want to end up with popcorn lung or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

It is possible to start burning the absorbing material (filter) if you allow the cartomizer to get dry. To prevent this keep it satureated. Besides the nasty flaver and the fact that you may have ruined your carto, you have not had enough exposure to this for you to be worried about it. As suggested above, if you were a tobacco smoker you have done far worse to yourself for a much longer period of time.

Enjoy your vaping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Thx for the reply.

I think it was the "wick" and not the actual filter (absorbing material). it was NOT the big piece of cloth/fiber in there, it was inside of that...if I understand correctly, the atomizer is wrapped around it or is near it?

ive been on and off again smoker, never really heavy...just kind of needed something to relieve the stress and went the ecig route, rather than analogs this time around. didnt wanna trade one poison for another, but i suppose the < 24 hours of using this cartomizer was not enough for anything too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

One thing to keep in mind, you need to ensure the filler stays moist or it will burn up. No matter the material. If you're not refilling you cartomizer they need to be changed often. As much as once per day.

If you purchase liquid by the bottle and refill the cartomizer, it will last upwards of about a week or so. Then should be changed out. Regardless what the filler is actually made of, at the end of the day, if it's not kept moist, it's going to start burning up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

get a quality pv and some refillable carto's. the njoy is crap, had one for 3 minutes, instantly broke out of the box. plus a good passthru will run about the same price. and as for the filler burning it happened to me ( pv was turning on in pocket) didnt realize it and took a big puff, lets say burning polyfill left me almost crawling to my inhailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

the plan always was to get a better VP and use the NJOY until it arrived. my father actually has a volcano ecig i bought him that he doesn't use that i was maybe going to take. but now im just concerned about this polyester stuff and the popcorn lung stuff. i mean, i know analogs are bad, but at least we know what they do, right? ooof, i dunno. i sort of blow this stuff outta proportion, but even breathing in polyester those few times i cant help but wonder what the hell i just did to myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Just got this reply from NjoY:

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for the kind words!

As for your question, the "wick" is actually made of cotton not polyester so there is nothing to worry about. :)

The liquid (aka "juice") turns the cotton a dark brownish color initially and becomes darker as the fluid is vaporized.

Hopefully this was helpful, however; if you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Take care Joshua and have a great week.

Sincerely,

David

---------------------

well, that's relieving to know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

and finally, this email:

No worries! Ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable.

And you are correct, the area around the "wick" is also cotton so still nothing to worry about. :)

Great questions and if you have any more please feel free to reach out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

the plan always was to get a better VP and use the NJOY until it arrived. my father actually has a volcano ecig i bought him that he doesn't use that i was maybe going to take. but now im just concerned about this polyester stuff and the popcorn lung stuff. i mean, i know analogs are bad, but at least we know what they do, right? ooof, i dunno. i sort of blow this stuff outta proportion, but even breathing in polyester those few times i cant help but wonder what the hell i just did to myself.

I think if you are that worried about what smoking or vaping is doing to your body maybe you should just quit both all together. Me personally I am just about positive smoking will be the death of me and maybe if I am lucky vaping or damn miniature Reese's cups lol. But I have pretty much accepted this. But then again I am here because I am trying to quit analogs so maybe it won't be and it will hopefully be old age . :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0