Nicotine Makes You Sleepy?

Actually, nicotine is unusual in that it acts as both a stimulant AND a depressant - which is one reason why it is so addictive. it calms the nerves while creating a rush of energy, and has a mind-clearing effect similiar to caffeine...the more you vape, the more u want. nicotine is incredibly hard to kick because it is both physically and psychologically addictive.

Many medications have opposite reactions in certain people...nicotine is one of these. can be a stimulant, a depressant or both.

Benadryl is another one....for most people it makes sleepy, some it makes hyper.

Ritalin or other ADD meds are an amphetamine or the equivalent to speed...in those with ADD its a depressant, in the rest of the world its a stimulant......

It all depends on the individual and the individual reaction

kitsune you hit it right on the head. I was just gonna say that about the add. If you have ADD or ADHD and you take a stimulant it will calm u right down. trust me ....Mr. Add over here lol.

Many medications have opposite reactions in certain people...nicotine is one of these. can be a stimulant, a depressant or both.

Benadryl is another one....for most people it makes sleepy, some it makes hyper.

Ritalin or other ADD meds are an amphetamine or the equivalent to speed...in those with ADD its a depressant, in the rest of the world its a stimulant......

It all depends on the individual and the individual reaction

Benadryl knocks me out cold lol. Ashley can take it without any problems and she's fine. I take it, 25 minutes later and I'm snoring. It's interesting how different chemicals/medications effect (affect?) people differently.

I run into this all the time in nursing....It really is amazing how differently chemicals react. I'm like you...Benadry = sleep (lots of sleep). My Son....turns into the Tasmanian devil.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...

This is pretty old but I'll give my two cents. Nicotine releases a wide array of neurotransmitters in the brain, most of which have a tendency to wake one up. However serotonin is broken down into melatonin in the brain, so you may feel sleepy a while after the buzz has left.