Kids And Vaping

owutaqt

So, I suddenly became a grandmother a month ago, son's ex gf had a baby and we did not even know she was expecting, needless to say we now have a newborn living with us, mom gave the baby up and my son has sole custody.

What are the rules for vaping around babies and kids? only outside, not in the same room, not in the same house?

I know what smoking analogs rules are but vaping is a bit confusing.

Chris?? What are you doing with your new little guy?

Congrats :)

I do not vape around my children. If I vape in the house I usually do it right by the window. (One of my couches is right by the window, I'll blow the vaper out) When I'm in the car I'll vape only if I really have to and at that I'll hold the vaper in and "ghost vape" if needed. But overall, I try as much as possible not to vape around my kids just the same as I wouldn't smoke around them :)

From what I understand any nicotine that may escape in the exhaled vapor is said to be less than the amount of nicotine in cauliflower or tomatoes. Yes these vegetables, as well as eggplant and potatoes contain small amounts of nicotine.

Still, you may want to steer clear of showing the grandchild the "habit" of vaping (along with smoking).

• 1 year later...

My kids are 10, 8, and 6. They have never seen me vape and I don't plan on exposing it to them at any point. My thinking is that it has potential to "trivialize" nic use, and could even glorify smoking as well (I think of it as the "candy cigarette effect").

I smoked for 2 1/2 years until I picked up vapor, and none of my children once saw me with a cigarette (although they would often tell me that I stunk lol).

Congrats on the GKids!

-K

I vape around my kids but they have told me they rather smell my vapor any day over a analog. Not sure if on the long run it's better for them to be around it vs. cigarettes but they spend lots more time with me since the swap because as they say I no longer smell like butt.

I wouldn't be that concerned about vaping around anyone, kids included. Unless you live on a space station with canned air, there are much more damaging pollutants in the air than what you exhale while vaping (much worse, in fact, than even second hand smoke from analogs). I knew a girl (vegan.../facepalm) that would go into fits of rage because someone would be smoking in their car while she was waiting in a drive-thru. I told her, "you have your window down and there are two cars in front of you, with another three cars behind you. All those cars, including yours, are spewing out deadly toxins as you sit here with your window down waiting in a McDonalds drive-thru to order a fast food salad that you have deemed healthy. And you want to complain about the guy in the car ahead of you sitting by himself smoking in the car with his window down. ReAlLy?"

• 2 weeks later...

I vape around my kids ,I have a 17 year old and a 12 year old - really im sure its ok . My older daughter has friends who smoke . Im sure there is more harmful toxins in the insense we burn. they are mostly in other rooms but They do come in from time to tim e .I dont blow it in their face obviously .

While all the info I have been able to read does point to vaping not being dangerous to the user (who is an adult) I have yet to see any research on what you can actually consume from secondhand vapor. Granted the vapor is a million times better than smoke but to say that the users around you will not get any of your vapor is ignorant (and if you go to a big vape meet and get hit with all of the nicotine in the air you will know how much you can get secondhand). Just because something is safe for an adult doesn't mean it is safe for a child or especially an infant.

I would personally not vape around a young child, the fact that it could expose them to nicotine being only one of the reasons. Teenagers it is probably not a big deal from a health stand point but it could get them to want to try it (which is good if they were going to smoke tobacco anyway but if they didn't want to try tobacco but want to try vaping idk if that is a good thing or not).

Just one of those rather error on the side of caution.

My son is 8. We never smoked like right "in his face" but we certainly didn't hide that we were smokers and I am sure at times he got second hand smoke on the boat or when outside on our deck etc... He always has had allergies and as he has gotten older he has grown out of most of them but he would have a cough at night almost year round. Since we started vaping, and we pretty much use the same standards of "Don't blow it in his face or near him" and the coughing has stopped completely. I am sure there are traces of nicotine in exhaled Vapor but it dissipates so quickly I cannot see a way to get second hand nicotine short of literally blowing vapor into the direct area they are breathing. My son is my biggest fan of changing over to vaping and if I am being completely honest the primary motivation that kept me doing it during the tough beginning.