Recharge Batts Before They Run Down?

I see there is a lengthy thread on the forum about this, and the consensus seems to be that it is OK, and perhaps preferable, to recharge anytime and not let the battery run down all the way. My question is in the Case of my EGO Advanced, the instructions that come with it says to charge for 8 hrs on the first charge, then use it for 20 min and then charge for another hr. After that, subsequent charges need to be for 3 hrs, even if the light turns green. My understanding is that when the light turns green, the battery is no longer charging. If this is the case, then why would the instructions say to continue to 3 hrs? Or, is it still charging when the light turns green?

Also, I know that the EGO has Lithium-Ion batts, but do you think the XHale O2 (from 7-11) and the J118 also have Lithium-Ion batts? BTW, the instructions with the XHale O2 says to immediately start using a new battery (they come partly charged).

Opinions / Suggestions?

Thanks!

Ken

The light turns green when the circut board senses whatever voltage it is set for it then goes into a trickle charge type mode .During a charging cycle a chemical change is made in the batteries and what ever the recomended charge time is is how long it takes to completely do the transformation to have the full reserve of energy the battery is capable of.You can have full voltage at an earlier time but not the full reserve or mAh (milli Amp hours)

Edited by mcquinn

The light turns green when the circut board senses whatever voltage it is set for it then goes into a trickle charge type mode .During a charging cycle a chemical change is made in the batteries and what ever the recomended charge time is is how long it takes to completely do the transformation to have the full reserve of energy the battery is capable of.You can have full voltage at an earlier time but not the full reserve or mAh (milli Amp hours)

Ahh...OK, that makes perfect sense. Based up this, if one were to forget to take a battery off the charger for several hours, do you think that would damage a battery? I'm thinking not, but it would be good to know for sure. In the instructions with the EGO, it doesn't give a warning about make sure to remove it after the 3-hr charge and I think they would give such a warning if there was a danger.

Thanks!

Ken

It will not harm the battery to leave it on the charger ,I usually put two of my 14500's on a charger when I go to bed .The only reason to not would be in the case of a catstrophic failure and sudden release of energy.But that could happen with any electrical appliance.Just make sure to have your your charger on a hard flame resistant surface and fresh batteries in your smoke alarms.I have not heard of any incidences of batteries exploding while charging only unprotected batteries in series being over amped.

It will not harm the battery to leave it on the charger ,I usually put two of my 14500's on a charger when I go to bed .The only reason to not would be in the case of a catstrophic failure and sudden release of energy.But that could happen with any electrical appliance.Just make sure to have your your charger on a hard flame resistant surface and fresh batteries in your smoke alarms.I have not heard of any incidences of batteries exploding while charging only unprotected batteries in series being over amped.

Excellent! I hate having to stay conscious of things like that (i.e. - gotta take it off the charger at 3am ;)

in the laptop and power tool world, it's generally recommended to fully discharge and then fully charge batteries, and with long term testing, i find that batteries last longer and perform better this way. keep in mind that a laptop or power drill battery fully charges from completely dead in about an hour, and is providing far more power for far longer than ecig batteries, which are essentially trickle-charged off usb for a long time, and produce a small amount of power for a short time, whether this affects it long term or not i'm not sure, but i'll stick to the same method i use for my power tools, and charge it once it's completely done.

Jon

The total discharge thing was started for nickel cadmium batteries as they have a memory ,lithium ion are not supposed to be subject to that effect .They do however have a limit as to how many charge cycles before they start deteriorating ,and that is usually put at 200 charge cucles.Yet another thing you will have to experiment with and see what works best for you.