Riva Vs Ego

brijmin

Riva vs eGo

Well my backup unit arrived yesterday. I got a Riva 510. The look and feel is just about the same. I have noticed some slight differences.

1. The button. It is rubber and has a nice feel. The way it fires is different. There is a slight delay after you stop pushing the button where the atty is still active and the button still glows. Its only about a second.

2. The button ring. The eGo has a slight depression ring around the battery. The Riva has a ring but is not inset.

3. The Cone. The code does not seem to fit as tightly around the top of the atty. This leads to better air flow.

4. The air slots. There are air slots at the top of the battery of both the Riva and eGo. the slots are a little wider on the Riva. This changes the draw and air flow making the draw easier on the Riva, but only slightly.

5. Charging. While charging the Riva's button glows BLUE the entire time. There is a RED indicator light on the plug and a RED indicator on the part that screws on the battery. Couple that with the BLUE on the button, looks cool in a dark room. I charge my equipment in the bathroom. Its dark in in there and makes a nice night light.

6. Battery. Riva 510 Power: 4.1v to 4.2 at 750mAh - eGo Power: 3.7v to 3.8v at 650mAh. I also tested my eGo Passthrough and that one was at 3.7v to 3.8v at 650mAh.

Over all I am very pleased with the Riva and will be buring this one in for the next few days. The biggest difference is in the Voltage. There is more popping and snapping because of the higher Volts. So far I am really digging the Riva. For now it is my primary device. If you have a chance to pick one up for a good price GO 4 IT!!!! To be honest I only ordered the Riva for the spare parts like the charger and cones, etc. For now the Riva is my go to device.

==============================================================

TECH TIP:

mAh stands for Milliamp Hour, a technical term for how much power a particular battery will hold.

Volts or V are an electrical measure of energy potential. You can think of it as the pressure being exerted by all the electrons Battery's negative terminal as they try to move to the positive terminal.

I like your #5....I charge my batteries, as well as cell phone and netbook on a power strip that is sort of next to my side of the bed....like right under the frame so I can still reach everything. At night when having to get up to go to the bathroom or whatnot the glowing lights do make a nice little nightlight. Not light enough to be annoying but light enough to provide useful illumination. Nice right on the floor so if the kids left something laying around i don't trip and break my neck!!!

Good review. I have a 510 and was looking to upgrade my battery. Someone on the forum recommended the Riva for a moderately priced upgrade.... (I just ordered it from Liberty-Flights.com yesterday.) I was a bit skeptical due to the cost difference from the eGo which was my first choice, but the deal was too good to pass up. I am feeling much better about my decision now.

I will review the 510 vs. the Riva when I get my new hardware in and get a chance to play with it for a bit. Thanks brijmin.^^

Riva vs eGo

Well my backup unit arrived yesterday. I got a Riva 510. The look and feel is just about the same. I have noticed some slight differences.

1. The button. It is rubber and has a nice feel. The way it fires is different. There is a slight delay after you stop pushing the button where the atty is still active and the button still glows. Its only about a second.

2. The button ring. The eGo has a slight depression ring around the battery. The Riva has a ring but is not inset.

3. The Cone. The code does not seem to fit as tightly around the top of the atty. This leads to better air flow.

4. The air slots. There are air slots at the top of the battery of both the Riva and eGo. the slots are a little wider on the Riva. This changes the draw and air flow making the draw easier on the Riva, but only slightly.

5. Charging. While charging the Riva's button glows BLUE the entire time. There is a RED indicator light on the plug and a RED indicator on the part that screws on the battery. Couple that with the BLUE on the button, looks cool in a dark room. I charge my equipment in the bathroom. Its dark in in there and makes a nice night light.

6. Battery. Riva 510 Power: 4.1v to 4.2 at 750mAh - eGo Power: 3.7v to 3.8v at 650mAh. I also tested my eGo Passthrough and that one was at 3.7v to 3.8v at 650mAh.

Over all I am very pleased with the Riva and will be buring this one in for the next few days. The biggest difference is in the Voltage. There is more popping and snapping because of the higher Volts. So far I am really digging the Riva. For now it is my primary device. If you have a chance to pick one up for a good price GO 4 IT!!!! To be honest I only ordered the Riva for the spare parts like the charger and cones, etc. For now the Riva is my go to device.

TECH TIP:

mAh stands for Milliamp Hour, a technical term for how much power a particular battery will hold.

Volts or V are an electrical measure of energy potential. You can think of it as the pressure being exerted by all the electrons Battery's negative terminal as they try to move to the positive terminal.

I wasn't aware that the Riva was higher voltage than the Ego. I also never noticed a difference in the air holes or the cone's tightness between the two. However, I wasn't really looking all that closely either. Another thing, my Riva's button doesn't glow at all when I'm charging it, at least not that I noticed. I wonder why yours does...

Either way, thank you for comparing the Riva to the ego without automatically condemning it because it costs less, and therefore MUST be lower quality. You don't always get what you pay for. I prefer the Riva, but a lot of people won't even touch it because it costs less, kinda like Vapor Renu juice. Oh well, their loss. The cheapest Ego kit I know of is about $60, but you can get a Riva kit from liberty flights for $37.50, or $30 even with a 20% discount coupon code. Even if it somehow is inferior quality, you can get two kits for the price of one Ego kit. And it's DEFINITELY better than a 510, or a blu, PLUS cheaper than either. So even if it isn't QUITE as good as the Ego(which I think is a crock), it's pretty damn close. GO RIVA!!

Edited by DerStadtschutz

I wasn't aware that the Riva was higher voltage than the Ego. I also never noticed a difference in the air holes or the cone's tightness between the two. However, I wasn't really looking all that closely either. Another thing, my Riva's button doesn't glow at all when I'm charging it, at least not that I noticed. I wonder why yours does...

Either way, thank you for comparing the Riva to the ego without automatically condemning it because it costs less, and therefore MUST be lower quality. You don't always get what you pay for. I prefer the Riva, but a lot of people won't even touch it because it costs less, kinda like Vapor Renu juice. Oh well, their loss. The cheapest Ego kit I know of is about $60, but you can get a Riva kit from liberty flights for $37.50, or $30 even with a 20% discount coupon code. Even if it somehow is inferior quality, you can get two kits for the price of one Ego kit. And it's DEFINITELY better than a 510, or a blu, PLUS cheaper than either. So even if it isn't QUITE as good as the Ego(which I think is a crock), it's pretty damn close. GO RIVA!!

The air holes are not a different width, more like a different cut. The air hole sort of slant down and are not a square cut like the eGo. Sort of hard to explain in words.

Yeah for sure the button glows the entire time they charge.

My volt meter is a cheap analog dial. The exact reading was hard to tell for sure, but it was higher than the eGo.

I got mine from Liberty Flights as well, maybe different vendors sell different quality versions. Not sure.

After vaping both for a while now, I can tell you the better of the two is the eGo. It makes a decent backup unit. I would recommend this as a cheaper alternative to anyone on a budget.

My primary device is still the eGo.

Can I ask you what exactly is "better" about the ego? I can't really tell a difference beyond the fact that I personally prefer the rubber button of the riva(the plastic ego button likes to stick sometimes). That, and the fact that the riva battery is shorter, but that's because the Ego I have is a USB passthru. Also, I do like the fact that the ego(at least the black one) has a sort of rubberized texture on the battery, which provides a better grip than the metallic finish of the Riva.

I don't see what difference it would make, but I personally got mine from Vapor-ize.com.

Edited by DerStadtschutz

Nice review!! The review is the best clone of the eGo out there to date. It's a nice unit.

The Joye eGo is the original PV that all the others copied. The guy who designed the eGo, (Mik) works for Janty. Janty put a 6 month warranty on the product... an unheard length at that time. They really stand behind their product and designer, which is what we end up paying for. It's like buying the original Gucci compared to a knockoff. Most of the clones have either a 30 day to a 90 day warranty. Sometimes they last 3 months, sometimes not. My first eGo lasted 8 months. Well worth the money spent, just for peace of mind.

There are differences, in warranties from vendor to vendor with either one. You can't go wrong with either one, it's all preference.

I should have taken some pics of the differences. A picture speaks a thousand words. I personally have not had any button issues with either. The button on the eGo shuts off immediately after release while the Riva remains on for a second after release.

I have pictured the eGo Pass-through, a normal eGo and a Riva.

http://picasaweb.google.com/brijmin/EGoVRiva

I added some captions to help explain the differences.

The eGo just feels better constructed. Everything from the push of the button to the threading of the cone. The better "feel" may come from the coating as well. There is a different finish on each... Hard to explain without touching it yourself.

Thanks for the review. Do you use Cartsomizers or an Atty? I have a Riva coming in any day now. I ordered the 510 carts (since I'm using the KR808s right now and familiar with carts). Is there a difference with dripping? I've recently started full time vaping No time analog so I haven't tried a great deal yet. What is a good atty to get to try dripping?

Thanks for the help and the review.

Thanks for the review. Do you use Cartsomizers or an Atty? I have a Riva coming in any day now. I ordered the 510 carts (since I'm using the KR808s right now and familiar with carts). Is there a difference with dripping? I've recently started full time vaping No time analog so I haven't tried a great deal yet. What is a good atty to get to try dripping?

I use both Carto's and Atty's. Carto's on drives mostly. There is no difference in dripping. The Riva will pop more when fully charged. I use standard 510 atty's, but i have recently ordered some LR's because i hear good things about the flavor and vapor production.

I just got my Riva today. 8 hours to charge according to the manual. That's like walking by a candy store and being made to sit there and watch them make the candy only to say, "Nope, gotta wait 'till tomorrow."

I hate the candy store. . . . . . .

Maybe my addies will be in then.

Okay, all charged up. I might just be a noob, but the throat hit on this is like the real thing. I actually kinda got light headed after a few hits. I'm using the 3 ohm carts and I like them more than my kr808's already. I'm waiting for my LR atty's to come in - probably today. I've never dripped before so I'm looking forward to it. The only problem is LF forgot to include the drip tips, so I may wait until they come in. Do you need a drip tip? I don't have an empty cart, but doesn't the atty come with a blank I could use?

Fun with the Riva!

(snip) The only problem is LF forgot to include the drip tips, so I may wait until they come in. Do you need a drip tip? I don't have an empty cart, but doesn't the atty come with a blank I could use?

Fun with the Riva!

It should come with a mouthpiece that you have to remove to drip into the atty in the least. (I think. I have a couple and don't know where they came from)

I just got my Riva today. 8 hours to charge according to the manual. That's like walking by a candy store and being made to sit there and watch them make the candy only to say, "Nope, gotta wait 'till tomorrow."

I hate the candy store. . . . . . .

Maybe my addies will be in then.

everything online says that EVEN when the batteries say they come fully charged from the factory....this applies to ALL li ion batts, cameras, cells, etc....to ALWAYS charge for 8 hours anyway. To not to supposedly ruins battery life or the ability to hold a charge or something. But any battery I have ever read about as far as the li ion says to charge them for at least 8 hours, no matter what the individual device says. A lot of people say it is BS, and vendors will say it is bs, but then a vendor you can't really trust as far as that because it is better for them if you do ruin the battery life. SO I never know what to believe....I err on the side of caution and charge the stupid things to be sure, LOL. Doesn't make much sense if something will normally charge in 2 hours that it would need to be charged for 8 hours before the first use, but what do I know????

I agree with you juilery. I usually err on the side of caution. I charged the first one last night and the second one all day today. It also says to use for 20 minutes and then charge it again for another hour. That doesn't make sense to me either, but I'll do it. I have one working right now so I'm good to go.

I did read somewhere, probably on this forum, that the USB charger on the computer charges faster than the AC adapter. I may be wrong, as this doesn't sound right to me, but I believe that's what was said. Anyone know if this is true or not for the Riva?

Ahh, to be able to sit down after a long day and vape a little (I don't vape much at work - I have to hide and take a few puffs when I do), makes the long charge and wait all worth while. yumm. Wake~n~Vape juice is my hero.

I have been vaping on my Riva for the past 8 days, and while I cannot do a side by side comparison I can confirm that the Riva battery (non-SE) is in fact 4.2V off the charger and holds 3.7+for several hours of pretty hard vaping.

My button light flashes on attaching to the charger, but after 5 or so does not stay on while charging. Also, if I am not mistaken L-F is warrantying the Rivas for 6 months as well, but don't quote me on that.

Overall I love this device, and am elated at the price point. My only decision now is whether to get a backup Riva or move right to a higher voltage mod.

Well I discovered that the eGo I have been prasing all this time was a Riva Lol silly me I got duped again. Saying that I Recieved the real deal this week and I like my Riva better. I like the button, I dont know if it's all in my mind but I think it hits better too. Just a noobs thought.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines